Planting out Dicksonia.

Tom2006

Re: Planting out Dicksonia.

Post by Tom2006 »

karl66 wrote:Up and at it early today despite a sore head, fern now planted out. Hope now for continued mild weather, if it does change protection is at hand. I think when they get this thick & tall it does them no justice stuck in pots, but there again try telling that to people who have lost them. Hopefully the last 2 winters were freaky. They do take a bit of stabilising in the ground though & i've put a few wood supports around it till it takes hold. The one dissapointing thing was i lost a lot of the compact soil around the pot when it was removed despite being ultra carefull and cutting the pot to loosen, i've buried about 8 inches of the trunk. karl.
Hope it works out for you, I think you know what I would have done, or not done icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I do also!!. The continued mild weather will have the final say on how well it gets established. I'm away for a 1wk the start of jan so i shall stuff some fleece in the crown before i go as a precaution. Just my luck we have a bad jan/feb :( . karl.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

karl66 wrote:I do also!!. The continued mild weather will have the final say on how well it gets established. I'm away for a 1wk the start of jan so i shall stuff some fleece in the crown before i go as a precaution. Just my luck we have a bad jan/feb :( . karl.
It won't establish in winter despite the relative mild. Unfortunately there is a lot of talk at the moment of quite a significant cool down by the middle of Jan. Not convinced myself but looks possible.....hope not.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Tom, were you the chap who bought a tree fern offline for your dad & were'nt happy with it?, if so how did you get on when you contacted them.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

They assured me all the green fronds had grown during the year if true I won't have anything to worry about. It will just need protecting extra well this winter and plenty of water come spring.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Approx, how long should my 5ft trunked treefern take to stabilise itself in the garden?. I planted about 8inches of trunk & put some large rockery stones at the base for extra support. A similar size fortunei takes about 6 months to take a firm grip, are these about the same. karl.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

you would still be able to pull it out the ground karl i would say with you planting it in december! It won't be settled yet just the soil a round it will.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

karl66 wrote:I planted about 8inches of trunk & put some large rockery stones at the base for extra support.
Do you think it would benefit from a stake for the first year or two? I was planning to stake mine, and they are only a foot tall (currently in pots with a bamboo cane to keep them upright)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Both of mine are staked, i may remove them this summer i will decide when the time comes.
Kristen yours should be ok planted at a 1ft tall without the need for staking?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:Approx, how long should my 5ft trunked treefern take to stabilise itself in the garden?. I planted about 8inches of trunk & put some large rockery stones at the base for extra support. A similar size fortunei takes about 6 months to take a firm grip, are these about the same. karl.

One year, two years max.