Tree ID Please (Acacia melanoxylon )

Brian

Tree ID Please (Acacia melanoxylon )

Post by Brian »

Hi last summer (2010) i found a seedling growing in the trunk of my newly imported tree fern (Dicksonia antarctica) i took it out and potted it up and by spring 2011 it had grown to about 18" tall then i planted it out, and since spring it has shot up to about 7 foot tall but i have no idea what it is or how big it will grow so i am hoping one of you may know what it is :?:
Attachments
DSCF9347.JPG
DSCF9350.JPG
Last edited by Brian on Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Tree ID Please

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Acacia dealbata? perhaps.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Yes Acacia dealbata is almost a certainty.

Edit: On second look the leaves are a little grey-green to be A. dealbata

either way, like Nigel says, nice freebie!
Last edited by stephenprudence on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Looks more like Acacia melanoxylon to me, going by the different shape of the sapling leaves in the 1st. picture.
Nice freebie to have though. :D
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Can't say for certain but defo. an acacia of some sort. Keep it out of strong winds and sub zero temps. and time will tell. A most welcome freebie!
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Nigel Fear wrote:Looks more like Acacia melanoxylon to me, going by the different shape of the sapling leaves in the 1st. picture.
Nice freebie to have though. :D
Ditto to Acacia melanoxylon. Tough to get it to survive other than mild winters in Norfolk - if it had been out last winter, it'd have snuffed it.

Plenty of large specimens (to 27m tall) in Ireland, a handful in Cornwall, and a couple in western Scotland. But no others of any size elsewhere in Britain.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Thanks again guys, it certainly looks like the pictures of Acacia melanoxylon i have found on the net my next question is if it does survive our winters will it tolerate being pruned if it gets to big :?:
Nigel Fear

Re: Tree ID Please (Acacia melanoxylon )

Post by Nigel Fear »

I grow Acacia dealbata here, [or A.Mearnsii, which seems to be sold as dealbata everywhere], and find it responds well to a good prune in spring after flowering.

Best to do in spring or early summer as not only do they bleed sap, and could allow risk of infection if done later in the year, but the next years flower buds begin to form by late summer.