New Years Day garden pics plus ID please

TonyJ

New Years Day garden pics plus ID please

Post by TonyJ »

Hi all and a Happy New Year ! This morning I took a few photos of the garden before it started to rain. This is the first New Years Day that it's been worth doing...there's not usually anything out there worth looking at.
I would appreciate an ID for the last photo if possible. It turned up in a pot of Cannas but I've no idea what it can be. It looks a little Tradescantia "like" but I'm not sure. I would have posted a lot more but was only able to do 10 at a time..
Thanks for looking icon_salut
Attachments
Echium Wildpretii (a few of these about, seed grown)
Echium Wildpretii (a few of these about, seed grown)
Chamaedorea Microspadix (I think)
Chamaedorea Microspadix (I think)
Echium Pininana plus M.Basjoo
Echium Pininana plus M.Basjoo
Cordy Indivisa
Cordy Indivisa
Bottlebrush
Bottlebrush
One of my mature Trachys
One of my mature Trachys
General view
General view
General view
General view
Mystery pant !!
Mystery pant !!
Troppoz

Re: New Years Day garden pics plus ID please

Post by Troppoz »

Mystery plant is a Trandescantia of some sort - are the yellow patches variegations or frost burn?
TonyJ

Post by TonyJ »

Sean - No, the yellow patches have been there since it appeared in the Summer as have the pink touches. Thought it may be a Tradescantia of some type. It's not really been touched by frost yet - min so far is +0.3 and probably not that low tucked in by the wall.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Troppoz wrote: are the yellow patches variegations or frost burn?
Looks like variegation; the bits that are yellow on the older leaves, are the same as the bits that are pink on the young leaves.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Great images for January. I like the Trachycarpus...how long has it been there?
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

thought i was doing well with my unwrapped musa stems still solid.... but it looks like your garden hasnt stopped growing
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Its Tradescantia 'blushing bride', a great ground cover plant and root hardy as well, it can be seen as a bit of a pest as it runs all over but its easy kept in check by pulling lumps up.
Its all variegation.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

so far so good with the cordyline indvasia
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

That Trachycarpus! :shock:

how big was it when planted and how long did it take to get to that height? STUNNING!!!
flounder

Post by flounder »

pretty damn good, those echiums are making me itch just looking at them :D
any chance of a cutting off the tradescantia? thats taken my fancy and given me an idea about a trailing epiphytic looking basket(bag, actually) icon_thumleft
TonyJ

Post by TonyJ »

Thanks for the comments ! The Basjoos are all this years growth. This time last year there was nothing to be seen at all, they came back from ground level. The Trachycarpus was planted in 1996 as a 5ft "specimen" (which it was to me then) and so has grown tremendously well. I have attached a pic of it taken in 2004 which will give you some idea of how its progressed in the last 7 or so years. You can also see my other large Trachycarpus which was planted at about the same time, again around 4-5ft when it went in.
Flounder - no problem with the cutting. In fact I am now going to make sure it makes more of an appearance around my garden by growing some on before the (maybe) inevitable happens ! The Echiums are all self sown from plants that last flowered around 3 years ago...not managed any after the last 2 Winters. Send me a PM please..... icon_thumleft
Attachments
Trachycarpus pic taken in 2004
Trachycarpus pic taken in 2004
The "other one"
The "other one"