Outdoor Basjoo On The Move

kite567

Outdoor Basjoo On The Move

Post by kite567 »

I've got two basjoo clumps out in the garden. As with a sikkimensis Red Tiger clump, they are protected with hay contained in a chicken wire cage and each topped with a securely fastened plastic cloche. (I would have preferred to use barley straw but none was available at the time).

All three clumps had been cut down to something like six inches below the top of the wire. Imagine my surprise this morning when I discovered that there was a Basjoo roller touching near the top of its cloche. :shock:

I do know that the weather this winter so far has been very mild but I find this quite amazing. Does anyone know at what temp Musa basjoo starts to grow. Incidentally, I can't see any new growth with the other bananas.
Attachments
Basjoo roller touching near top of cloche
Basjoo roller touching near top of cloche
fieldfest

Re: Outdoor Basjoo On The Move

Post by fieldfest »

ive not even protected mine yet but theyre all still growing albeit slowly
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Same here, totally unprotected and the one in the more sheltered spot is still growing even this far north.
Ste

Post by Ste »

I think basjoo only needs 6 degrees to grow, obviously faster when warmer but 6 is enough for it to move so I've read before
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

So far this winter, basjoo has not needed any protection in most of the UK. If you hadn't protected by this stage in the last three winters then most peoples would have already been cut down to the ground. icon_aaargh

I guess they only need around 8 degrees to keep growing.

Sikkimensis a few degrees more.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My two indoors are not growing but then they are bone dry, so is the 'Montbeliardii' as well and ensete maurelli's.

The basjoo's outside are as brown as brown gets but the stems are nice and green so all is ok.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Interesting, my brothers were cut to the ground by frost some weeks ago and he lives in Berkshire :?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Unusual for the NW to be warmer than Berks but we've had a great 2011 up here.

Here are mine, photographed minutes ago and looking worse for wear after the wind of the past couple of days but you can clearly see the new growth, even on the one in the less sheltered position.

sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

They still look good GB i will post mine soon then you can have a look at some sorry looking basjoo's :lol: :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

As promised GB, my frost bitten basjoo's. But at least i have some nice sun to take the pictures in. :lol:
Attachments
basjoo on 5th january 2012.jpg
Basjoo number 2 on the 5th january 2012.jpg
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Wow, that really does put things in perspective.

:shock:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yeah just a bit, yours look in mint condition compared to mine mate. :lol: I am just glad my stems are still nice and green and in tact. :-)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Here are mine, photographed minutes ago ...
Amazing anything grows at the foot of those Cupressus(??)
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Kristen wrote:
GoggleboxUK wrote:Here are mine, photographed minutes ago ...
Amazing anything grows at the foot of those Cupressus(??)
They're Leylandii Kristen and the Basjoo are in raised beds.

;)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
Kristen wrote:the Basjoo are in raised beds.
Are the raised beds "isolated" from the Leylandii? I'm thinking of something like that under by trees as the soil is just full of roots, with a pond-liner beneath the raised bed (and planting bog-loving plants in the raised beds)