Another wind storm for January 3rd/4th/5th......

stephenprudence

Re: Another wind storm for January 3rd

Post by stephenprudence »

wow the wind is insane here, apart from opening the window and nearly being dragged out, the roof tiles are physically rattling, The 100ft Elm tree out back is bending double! :shock:

I'm going to walk to the coast at around 10pm just to see how strong those gusts are. They're currently peaking between 48 and 62mph here, so you can add a further 10mph on top of that at the coast! I'll try and get some footage.
stephenprudence

Its turned rather warm here outside, temperature up to 11C, with humidity lowering, I believe it's a Foehn wind!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Well the plants are moving INSIDE the house it's that windy!
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Wind is not insane here but it's increasing already and that's a bit early, because they where expecting the strongest wind during the morning. I got about 30 mph (45 km per hour) substained winds at the moment. Gusts are going to 70 km per hour (45 mph) at the moment, at the coast even stronger (95 km/h & 60 mph). Temperature around the 8C and it's raining of course.

They also talking about closing dams in the southwest to defend some area's against flooding problems. If the Maeslantkering would closing then would it be the second time since it's active.

stephenprudence

Just went down to the beach and the wind down there was very intense but sustained, standing up was a challenge, but it terms of gusts it's alot worse up here which tends to cause more damage, but the only damage I saw was a fence ripped out of its foundations, other than that I suppose people learn that they need to reinforce.

Robbin, good luck with the dam defences, I only know how critical your countries sea defences are!
stephenprudence

Not a great quality video, but this was taken down at the beachside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ailpage&v=

and a second one higher up on the hillside;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ailpage&v=
Last edited by Dave Brown on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed videos to media links :-)
jezza

Post by jezza »

The Codfather wrote:what site are those from ????
Metcheck.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Still blowing a hooley this morning. Usually when it`s windy at bedtime it subsides by the morning. We`ve had an almost constant battering for 2 days now, I can`t remember the last time it was so sustained :x
jezza

Post by jezza »

56mph gusts last night so slightly stronger than what i had on monday. Another fence post gone over, it pulled the whole post out of the ground inc the ball of concrete! So that's 2 posts to sort out, one fence panel and a small poly greenhouse to replace.

It's calm again now and the sun is out. I hope that's it now, not forecast high winds for the next 5 days. :roll:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Another wind storm for January 3rd/4th/5th......

Post by Dave Brown »

Far from calm here, and aerial got twisted again overnight. :ahhh!: Couldn't tighten it more without risking shearing the bolts. It got twisted in the October 1987 Storm (locally called the Hurricane) and now twice in 3 weeks :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:

Been looking at another weather station as many of the new ones update every 2 seconds not 120 seconds like mine. Temp and wind direction won't make much difference but wind speed could be quite different with a 2 sec snapshot rather than 2 minute.

Heron has been blown in the pond again and just noticed the weather cock is on the ground not on it's pole :roll:

I'm sitting here watching a close boarded, concrete posted, fence being moved by about a foot in the gusts. :(
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Dave do you think the aerial has been loosened by the 1987 storm, and that's why it's twisting now perhaps?

Also on weather stations, the data output intervals are sometimes different between temperature and rain. The temperature output for example might be 2 seconds but the wind might be 30 seconds - it's worth checking that out. Still it will be much better than your current one.

Mine has 30 second intervals for temperature and wind, with a bizarre 2 minutes interval every 10 intervals (for some reason), but it still logs the data as normal.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

I'd agree with Stephen, the metal in the aerial pole is probably getting soft with metal fatigue now. Soon it'll be twisting with every light breeze, or more likely just snap right off icon_blackeye
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

My Pergola is at a rather jaunty angle :( time for the cross-braces I've had on my ToDo list for a couple of years ...
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

have not checked really.....I know 1 large black glazed pot is smashed.......hopefully thats it. As for all my new plant purchases......they are in the garage.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Lots of potential but so far the highest windgust reported at some places from 120 kph/ 75 mph. The cold front was moving in here this morning at 07.30 and was strong just like yesterday. Massive rainwalls smashed down to the ground, quite impressive to watch. Substained winds are around beaufort 7 at the moment.

So far so good, also the waterproblems. I know it's not on that big scale as some countries do, but we don't have a big country either. They have evacuate a small area in the north where the fear for that the water will come over the "Dike" (Don't know it that is a englisch word).

Picture is from the evacuated area

In the southwest they have closed some dams and have a 24 hour controle today at other places where the dams are. They are waiting for the high tide combinated with strong winds from the northwest how this would evolving. That 24 hour controle is not really special, but well needed.
Last edited by Exotic Life on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.