Another wind storm for January 3rd/4th/5th......

Trudytropics

Re: Another wind storm for January 3rd/4th/5th......

Post by Trudytropics »

I popped into my local Homebase today, just for a mooch around the garden centre bit, got to the doors and they were locked shut, apparently they were not letting anybody into garden section for health and safety. Well as the wind had dropped, I insisted they open the doors so I could go and look for bargains, blimey it was like a war zone. The GC manager said he was fed up as everything all the steel rackings systems with plants on had all been tossed around, they had tried to re-build the shelving displays only to have the whole lot blown down repeatedly. He followed me round (probably for my own health and safety :lol: ) there was nothing to buy this time, although I'm hoping some reductions with be coming soon. I told him I was looking for cordylines, phormiums and agaves as I had the tropical garden bug, he laughed and told me he had until last winter when all of his beloved palms snuffed it and he was not going to bother anymore.
dino

Post by dino »

There must be reductions from all the plants that had fallen over and got battered.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Trudy, the exact same happened here, the doors were shut and blocked off! I was very disappointed, the back yard was actually quite calm. :roll:
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

The gusts were crazy last night I hardly slept a wink.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Trudytropics wrote:I popped into my local Homebase today, just for a mooch around the garden centre bit, got to the doors and they were locked shut, apparently they were not letting anybody into garden section for health and safety. Well as the wind had dropped, I insisted they open the doors so I could go and look for bargains, blimey it was like a war zone. The GC manager said he was fed up as everything all the steel rackings systems with plants on had all been tossed around, they had tried to re-build the shelving displays only to have the whole lot blown down repeatedly. He followed me round (probably for my own health and safety :lol: ) there was nothing to buy this time, although I'm hoping some reductions with be coming soon. I told him I was looking for cordylines, phormiums and agaves as I had the tropical garden bug, he laughed and told me he had until last winter when all of his beloved palms snuffed it and he was not going to bother anymore.

Same story at Homebase Wakefield. :|
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Overview pictures from the north of our country. Too much water there, too much here as well but not so bad as there. Good thing is, today was very sunny and mild but still very windy with was quite cold for the feeling. Plants doesn't mine still flowering geraniums and also the callistemon is still flowering.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This is why my aerial is so vulnerable.....

I'm at the top of a slight hillock and the wind has a straight run at me from almost all directions.

This video is a 360 degree view from my roof.
Attachments
View from aerial.wmv
(4.7 MiB) Downloaded 141 times
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Dave, do you have an obsession with getting on your'e roof :lol: When was that take, look at the weather its like summer :shock:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !