Taro from tubers.

Las Palmas Norte

Taro from tubers.

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Anyone ever try Taro from store bought tubers? These all have a healthy "eye" which would give the indication they'd grow, but I wonder if that's enough? If they don't I've only waisted a half dollar :lol: .

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Taro.JPG
The Codfather

Re: Taro from tubers.

Post by The Codfather »

Nope they will grow fine....alot of people buy\grow them here...

there is lots of different ways posted on here.....I will look for some links butsomeone may post how they do it......but just a little warmth
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Yep, did a load last year, avoid them rotting and they'll do fine, maybe a little on the small side tho' icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

They will grow well. I am just putting a video together about how to do it. Will post soon.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Local asian supermarket sells taro as eddoes(and other wierd and wonderful things) they grow just fine
Another cheap way for the jungly look.............I like cheap icon_thumright
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:They will grow well. I am just putting a video together about how to do it. Will post soon.
That would be cool brother. I have seen a couple of your vids before and thought about doing something similar for folks on our PNW Cloudforest cafe forum.

Cheers, Barrie.
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

Barrie, I grow them every year, i can get about 10 for a pound from our local asian store., always look for the ones with green eyes, dont over water, they rot, i chit mine, like you do with potatoes.

cheap gardening !!!!!! they like bottom heat !!!!

Mixie

ps they over winter well indoors, ive got two.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I started 5 off last year in january on a windowsill where the combiboiler is, They took ages to sprout but sprout they did.
I put them outside during the day in about may, then back in the ghouse at night..

They all survived, which is amazing i think considering where i live :mrgreen:

They never did get very big, we had another poor summer but it hasn't put me off trying again :mrgreen:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

How do I find a local Asian supermarket? I tried Google using "Asian Supermarket near MyTown" and its top link was to "Chinese Supermarkets" on city-listings.co.uk - which looked REALLY promising ... clicked the link ... and city-listings.co.uk shows a nice little map with my closest store ... which is 88.3 miles away :(
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

ask in the corner shops or curry take aways....they will know. Somtimes, tesco sell them....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

i got mine from here last year-mail order supermarket
18" leaf was my biggest
http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/fresh ... 3792-p.asp
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Oh for goodness sake - a MAIL ORDER Asian Supermarket? That is just SOoooo obvious ... I shall hide my head in shame like Uggie :)

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Video uploading as we speak.