Protecting Dicksonia antarctica Treeferns in this freeze

Tom2006

Re: Protecting Dicksonia antarctica Treeferns in this freeze

Post by Tom2006 »

It won't take anything from the soil during cold spells so just an option...certainly better than a dead but well rooted one come spring icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Thanks Dave - my Dicksonia antarctica as snug as a bug in a rug in a huge pot in a lightly heated greenhouse......I think we are just about through the cold spell here - forecast for the Lewis and the nW Highlands could be between 5 & 7c tomorrow but wet and windy. We've had it frosty here but inland in the mountains it has been between 8 and 10 degrees colder. Hope East Anglia and the SE don't cop it too badly with the snow.
MonkeyDavid

Post by MonkeyDavid »

sanatic1234 wrote:I don't even think mine will be rooted yet, as i only planted it mid april last year. 1-2 years to root.
I bought a couple of Dicksonia antarctica logs with no roots from the Akamba meet (7th May). The area where they're being planted wasn't ready so they was planted in pots until I could plant them out. Needless to say they won't now be planted till spring but I can tell you that their roots are nicely filling out their pots
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I really didn't think they rooted as quick as that Monkeydavid. I have always been reading 1-2 years. May be my 2 have rooted a little none are visible to the eye on the surface as of yet.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Wunderground predicts -9 for me tonight :shock:

I left work at 7pm and it was -3.5 already......brrrrrr
Strangely tho the car was not icey, and even now on the drive the windowscreen is clear.

My Dicksonia antarctica has been wrapped for a few weeks now, but a few days ago i added a bit more protection.

It has,
fronds pulled down over the trunk.
Fleece stuffed in the crown.
A fleece bag over the entire stump.
Big handful of straw on the top.
Another fleece bag pulled tight over that.
A thin woolly blanket wrapped around it all.
A layer of old carpet over the top and around the sides.
A open topped compost bin over the top.
And finally a tarpaulin over the lot forming a tent.

Hopefully that will do lol.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mine had very similar last year and still died!....but we didn't get above freezing for over two weeks I think the rebound above freezing during the day in Feb should help to save many plants.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Yes your right, last year around here we had -17 in my garden, pershore only a few miles away had -21...which according to our local rag made it the coldest place in the country for winter 2010/11.
No amount of protection would of helped at these temps, they would just freeze solid :(

Thankfully, altho its very cold day temps are getting to around 3, which altho isn't great is a big improvement on last year.

My lowset so far was last night, -6.9, i think the next few days are supposed to be a little warmen (maybe to -3), but i dare say that will be short lived.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Some horrible cold charts running out into February but hopefully the strength of the sun during the day should keep things from being too bad. Still looks grim.
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Here's one my buddy shot today over our way.

Cheers, Barrie.

outatime1978

Post by outatime1978 »

thats bananna joes place, i get all his video's from youtube,he has a great garden :D
Simba

Post by Simba »

Dave Brown wrote:If your Dicksonia antarctica is in the shade you can throw a duvet over if is is small enough but needs to be almost touching the ground. If too tall, then also wrap the trunk to stop further cooling....
Not trying to be funny but, what TOG duvet would you recommend..?
Asda do some cheap ones, but I dunno if they will keep the Dicksonia antarctica sufficiently warm... icon_scratch
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I got a 13.5 rig king sized from Tesco for 10 quid for my large waggie and I reckon so long as you keep the duvet dry they would protect a Dicksonia antarctica well.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I chucked some old carpet rug over my two last night and when I took the rug off the underside that was laid across the crown was very nice and warm!
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I noticed two of my four Dicksonia antarctica's (6ft and 4 ft)are stirring, there's definate movement in the new croziers. Not something i particularly want at the moment. :(
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mine were in early Jan arlon but they arent now. :lol: need them to stay still until late April.