Horrorwinter 2012.

Matcycas7

Re: Horrorwinter 2012.

Post by Matcycas7 »

Hi Exotic Life and Eddie,

I hope a speedy recovery for your wrapped up trees.

A woman throws a boiled water in the mid-air and it turns into misty snow in this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BlhpwljcUc

icon_bigsmurf icon_cheers :lol:
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Matcycas7 wrote:Hi Exotic Life and Eddie,

I hope a speedy recovery for your wrapped up trees.

A woman throws a boiled water in the mid-air and it turns into misty snow in this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BlhpwljcUc

icon_bigsmurf icon_cheers :lol:
Well I hope there is something left recover anyway, but thanks. If not we all can say we still have the pictures from it...
PICT0007.JPG
PICT0010.JPG
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

A small research deliverd us the information that last saturday with on large scale was quite unique. Lelystad got -22.9C that night and is now on place number 9 with the coldest night since they start holding the records. Place number 3 to 8 are also very similair around the -23/-24. So this night was almost close to the 2 coldest ever.

Last night was much better here because the clouds and also today is around freezing level. There are 4 more cold days and nights to come when finally at least a short period of positive temperatures will reach us. Some leafes looks very crispy already :(
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

i take it the metposts are ysed when building a winter shelter ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi Robbin icon_thumright fingers crossed the respite isnt too late to save some of your palms icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Lots most of my exotics last year so I know the worry you will have at the moment. I hope more survives than you expect. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Thanks people. I don't count on anything, it would be much easier to accept see everything eventuelly dieing when spring arrived. At least it looks like that this incredible unsual long cold wave from about 2 weeks deepfreeze temperatures will come to a end tomorrow/monday! Unprotected Trachycarpus leafes turning brown already... Chamaerops is really looking bad! Just had a round this afternoon even "normal" plants doesn't look great always.
1322012111790.jpg
More pictures here, made by Sytse (Terschelling)

http://www.weerwoord.be/includes/forum_ ... id=1578799
152201211495914.jpg
More pictures here, made by Klaas (Tollebeek)

http://www.weerwoord.be/includes/forum_ ... id=1578885

Today I've been going to the international emigration expo in Utrecht. Now I know for sure in a few years when everything is finished in my personal years I defitnely going to work/live for a few years at warmer places. And if that is what I like, I'll never going to return. And after watch the posted pictures that feeling is getting only stronger.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

It's almost got usual... temperatures last night with a very cold southwest as well compared to the nights earlier. Centre Holland is about recording -15 every night for a week or so...
Minimum temperatuur 11-02-2012.png
And of course not above zero today...
Maximum 11-02-2012.png
Tonight is going to be similair but would be the last extremly cold night. Then it looks like milder temperatures are coming...
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Average from the first 12 days of February has been the coldest since they start recording in 1901 in the Bilt. The average has never been that low as now with mean almost the whole cold wave.

Going to unpack my protected palms again otherwise the fungus possibilities are coming. It's only +4C and it looks almost warm now, weird.
eddie

Post by eddie »

Very weird indeed. The day before the coldwave came it was grey and wet.

Now, snow and ice is melting fast. The sky is grey and wet. On places where the snow has gone it looks like winter never happened. Opened the shelters today to let fresh air in, Washi's look the same as before the cold spell icon_cheers
The inside smelled like a warm greenhouse, wich I take for a good sign

My basjoo is frozen solid. A big two meter high ice column. Maybe the ice did not reach the inner core. Just have to wait untill it's defrosted
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Still loads of Ice around the "ijsselmeer", the place where the coldest temperatures recorded during that cold wave.

http://www.weerwoord.be/includes/forum_ ... id=1583898
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

:shock:

You'd be forgivem for thinking that was the Antarctic in some of those pics.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

GoggleboxUK wrote::shock:

You'd be forgivem for thinking that was the Antarctic in some of those pics.
This pictures has been taking around the village "Urk". All that amount of Ice is coming from that lake on land because the dew and wind. Don't know the englisch name for it and can't find it either on a translater but we called "Kruiend ijs". It does give a very weird sound as well when that amount of ice is getting crushed. Someone else did a interesting reading as well when he visit that area because the temperature dropped like a stone how closer he got. So this amounts of Ice hold the temperature down there as well.

Even here in the southwest with some +10C days again there are still some ice pieces left in the water...
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

The first damage is showing around here on the palms. Till now it are only the lowest leafes and the evergreen bushes that got a brown color. So i'm still not celebrating something and will wait after a warmer period later in spring. I did visit other palms in the neighbourhood as well and saw a similair damageview. However on the moment they don't looking that bad at all, hopefully it will stay with only the lowest/oldest leafes. Till this winter I never seen damage on Trachycarpus palms before, so it's a new experience for me as well.
PICT0021.JPG
PICT0023.JPG
PICT0014.JPG
PICT0005.JPG
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Like I said there are a lot evergreen bushes including normal ones like Buxus, Ligustrum, Prunus, etc that has leaf damage. Not this tree so i'm quite happy about this Magnolia grandiflora variety! I have seen some more M. grandiflora's last weekend and they all looking good so far. So proberly they will need plant more of these trees, evergreen and beautifull when they are flowering!
PICT0004.JPG