Dicksonia Antarctica

Amberforce

Dicksonia Antarctica

Post by Amberforce »

Hi Everyone.

Could anyone let me know when it is best to cut off last year's fronds from the Dicksonia Antarctica please? They are still green and look great but I didn't want them to inhibit this year's growth that is just starting to emerge.

Thanks a lot.
Tom2006

Re: Dicksonia Antarctica

Post by Tom2006 »

If they are still green they will still be photosynthesizing, especially as we move into March and April. This is give the plant added energy to grow its new fronds so leave them on for as long as you can. I will probably cut the worst of mine off mid May.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Amberforce

Post by Amberforce »

Thanks Tom that's brilliant!
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

Yerp along there with tom iv left all mine on on both tree ferns but one of them has started to discolour and gone all brown so iv cut them off, all the new fronds are ready to come out, cant wait :D
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

If your Dicksonia's fronds are still green & look great why would you want to cut them off at all? They wont inhibit any new growth, it will still send out a flush if it has last years fronds or not...
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've found when last year's green fronds are left on it gives the plant extra vigour and then does not only produce a spring flush, but continues to push out croziers through out the summer and early autumn. The one I've had the longest bought as a 1 foota, produces up to 40 fronds in a season, and at this rate puts on about 4" (10cm) of trunk a year. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by DaveP »

I've got fronds still on mine from the year before last. although one or two are now starting to go brown. They will be cut when they are completely browned and not before. If any leaf on any plant is still green, it's doing some good and should not be cut off.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

All of mine are brown but I'll leave them on for a bit yet just in case as they are providing a bit of protection to other stuff.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Surprised to hear yours are all Brown Adrian. Do you protect it at all?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Adrian wrote:All of mine are brown but I'll leave them on for a bit yet just in case as they are providing a bit of protection to other stuff.
You are sheltered from wind Ade, and that allows more radiation frost. There is nearly always wind, or a breeze here, and that works in my favour until the breeze freezes, then it desicates everything :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Andy P »

Most of the fronds on mine have turned brown even though i`ve had a very mild winter here. Probably had a minus 5 or 6 on a few occasions but only for a few hours. I cut about 6 or 7 of the worst ones off yesterday. Already noticed half a dozen knuckles on the verge of flushing so looks like i`ll get a very early flush this year. Just have to hope the frosts stay away now.