Carpentaria Acuminata Seeds

HarryandNess

Carpentaria Acuminata Seeds

Post by HarryandNess »

More seeds from Sean received 26/1/12. They had lots of juicy fruit on and I'm glad I wore gloves when cleaning them because from what I've read it can irritate the skin. They need sowing as soon as possible because they don't store well. Here's a pic of some cleaned seeds, approx 1-2 cms long, some fatter than others.
101_1008.JPG
Ours have been soaked for 3 days and are now in a seed tray, in damp vermiculite, covered with clingfilm and placed on a heat mat. If they germinate, I understand they can be planted with more than one in a pot for a more showy plant...but would I want to do that?

Ness
Last edited by HarryandNess on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarryandNess

Re: Carpentaria Acuminata Seeds

Post by HarryandNess »

Here's 3 Carpentaria that had germinated before they left Australia.
101_1014.JPG
101_1015.JPG
I think they probably suffered from low temperatures during the flight here, not to mention a couple of nights of below freezing while they were in a sorting office here. I may be wrong though. I think they look poorly but I'm going to follow Sean's advice and spray them with hydrogen peroxide and keep them warm, airy and not too damp. Also in as much light as I can find here in January (the photo was taken at night tho) :lol:

Good advice thanks Sean! :D

Ness
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

I'm glad I wore gloves when cleaning them because from what I've read it can irritate the skin
:oops: Sorry Ness I probably should have put out a warning about that...yes the fruit can burn the skin and can even take the paint off your car... They are a favourite food of fruit doves which eat the berries in large amounts then find somewhere preferably above a car or your washing to excrete the black tarry corrosive mess. Ive had them anoint me from above and can testify that it burns :shock:

How those doves dont have a burny bum Ill never know...
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Troppoz wrote:..How those doves dont have a burny bum Ill never know...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
grub

Post by grub »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRlj5vjp3Ko This is how they don't Sean.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Hey love the Johnny Cash link Grub! :lol:
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Aw...those that had germinated in Australia fell to bits today. I really do think it was too cold for them whilst in transit. On a happier note we've got 2 seeds that are just starting to germinate icon_cheers Will post a pic tomorrow

Ness
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

HarryandNess wrote: Aw...those that had germinated in Australia fell to bits today.
:(
HarryandNess wrote: On a happier note we've got 2 seeds that are just starting to germinate icon_cheers Will post a pic tomorrow

Ness
icon_cheers
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

A friend just brought me back some of these seed! I will follow your instructions Ness and see how I get on! Did you bury them in the vermiculite? and also what temperature do you have your heat mat on? :)
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:A friend just brought me back some of these seed! I will follow your instructions Ness and see how I get on! Did you bury them in the vermiculite? and also what temperature do you have your heat mat on? :)
Aw...you have a very nice friend! The ones I had in vermiculite started to go a tad mouldy, so I've taken them out and cleaned them again.

The ones that have germinated are sandwiched between 2 layers of kitchen roll in a plastic tub on the reptile mat. I don't have a thermostat so I've no idea what the temperature is but they feel warm. They seem to like being wet and warm. This is how I'm going to do all our carpentaria now.
101_1245.JPG
Ness
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

yeah i was lucky, hes given me 5 wodyetia's too so im gonna follow your method on those :) and wow i didn't know you could germinate palm seed with kitchen roll, i remember doing it with cress when i was younger though! i'll give it a go :D thanks
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:yeah i was lucky, hes given me 5 wodyetia's too so im gonna follow your method on those :) and wow i didn't know you could germinate palm seed with kitchen roll, i remember doing it with cress when i was younger though! i'll give it a go :D thanks
How are you getting on with them? Any luck yet?

Ness
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

JoelR wrote: I delidded a couple of Carpentaria seeds on Sunday and when I looked yesterday, they were starting to germinate.

Great stuff! icon_thumleft
Troppoz wrote: How are the carpentaria seeds coming along?
We have 3 poking their noses out of the soil so far. They're a kind of biscuit colour, maybe they'll turn green soon :?: I'll put some pics on when you can see them better.

Had to re-sterilise some seeds again because they were going a tad mouldy. I'm sure it's because we went away for 3 days. They didn't get their daily shot of fresh air from me opening the box to check on them. About 12 others are germinating so it's all A-OK cheers Sean!

Ness
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Definitely got germination starting after delidding. I hope I'm not encouraging rot. I swished the seeds around in Cheshunt Compound solution (EU Police please ignore) which should hopefully help.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

JoelR wrote: I hope I'm not encouraging rot...
It's a fine line isn't it. They like wet & warm but so does mould. Anyway, as promised here's 4 that are popping up. One is just starting to turn green and another looks quite rude! :lol: :lol:

Ness
101_1421.JPG