Moving a Paulownia Tomentosa

Mark L

Moving a Paulownia Tomentosa

Post by Mark L »

Anyone moved a fair sized one of these? Think its about 6 years old, dormant at the moment, been cut down each year to around a foot of trunk.

As its a tree I'm guessing it will have some fairly extensive roots, just wondering if it's likely to survive, obviously I will be trying to take as much rootball as possible, would be nice to have an idea of the spread of roots before I start.
Springy

Re: Moving a Paulownia Tomentosa

Post by Springy »

Mark, I might be moving mine before this summer so I too will be interested in any replies you may get! icon_thumleft
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

I moved my Paulownia last spring to give it a bit more space in a another spot. It didn't do particularly well having been moved and produced much smaller leaves and less growth, than would normally be expected. You may find it will sulk for a season, just keep well watered. :)
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Mark L wrote:As its a tree I'm guessing it will have some fairly extensive roots,
Hire a JCB.

It'll survive no problem, it's almost impossible to kill. The difficulty is going to be the number of suckers you get from roots left behind.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

i potted up some roots left over from one i moved last year and got a good two foot plant by the end of the year... icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'll be moving mine from a wooden raised bed into the ground this spring. It's only been in there a year so I reckon I'll be able to extract it archaeology style and untangle it from the 3 Fargesia, Fire Fern and Papaver.

At least I hope so.
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Conifers wrote:
Mark L wrote:As its a tree I'm guessing it will have some fairly extensive roots,
Hire a JCB.

It'll survive no problem, it's almost impossible to kill. The difficulty is going to be the number of suckers you get from roots left behind.

That won't be my problem, it's in someone elses garden :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the replies, will give it a go, got nothing to lose, it's not costing me anything other than the time digging it out, was expecting it to sulk for a while, surely digging it up while dormant has got to be better, I'll stick some bone meal in the planting hole and probably stake it for a year or so until it can re-root properly