Scarlet Lily Beetle Alert

real_ale

Scarlet Lily Beetle Alert

Post by real_ale »

im finding them all over the front garden, has anybody else finding them, do they overwinter here or fly over from Europe, where are they orginally from and its only March icon_scratch
musabasjoos

Re: Scarlet Lily Beetle Alert

Post by musabasjoos »

Ive had a real problem with them over the last few years. I have now removed all lilies from my garden now. :ahhh!:
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

I've been on the lookout but haven't spotted any yet. They usually make a right mess of the lillies and now I have Fritillaria imperalis planted too so I expect problems. I don't usually advocate it outdoors but a few squirts of Provado saw them off last year.
kata

Post by kata »

I have Turkish Lillies but nowhere near yet, they are just buds,

Never had a Lily Beetle problem last year but had in 2010...I picked one off and threw the Lillies away at end of season.

icon_cheers
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

i have killed a couple so far!!!!
kata

Post by kata »

There is going to be some very strange insects flying in this beautiful weather from other countries, especially Asia,

Some we may not even recognise. icon_cheers

Keep snuffin the Beetles out, between us they could become on the red list as extinct. :lol: :lol: :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'm surprised my lillies haven't started yet considering the mild weather.
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

None yet. Last year, I tried to squash a pair that were in the middle of mating session on one of my asiatic lillies, I only managed to kill the female, the male just carried on his business like nothing happened. Sums up their character I think.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I never look really.......I have loads of day lillies etc....and every year they seem fine......Infact i would not even know what I was looking for :oops:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Day lillies (hemerocallis) don't get lily beetle icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

Kata, don't throw them away. Just keep them outside near your house & look for beetles once a day when they're growing. A spray with provado sorts them out if you really must use bug stuff.

Ness
Zephyr

Post by Zephyr »

I found out by accident that if I move my lillies out of the garden and sling them into the potting shed for winter they don't get touched by the poxy beetle when I put them back out about now, seems totally nonsensical to me but its worked for the past 2 years so I'm going to keep doing it til it doesn't!
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

I spotted a couple in the garden on Saturday when I was busy moving my pots around. I have a few oriental lillies from last year that I am waitng to sprout. The beetles are hanging about I guess in readiness for that moment. :roll:
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Ness,

I am year 2 with my giant Lillies from Jeager, last year they were beautiful.

Goggle Get your Lillies in direct sunlight if they are not already, feed and water.

You have other good stuff growing where I had to throw out. :lol:

I lost all my Images when my comp was broke but here is one of the bigger Lillies.
liliumturkishcapspeciosumalbum.png
liliumturkishcapspeciosumalbum.png (465.16 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
Day lillies (hemerocallis) don't get lily beetle
Probably the Beetle missed it Ness.. icon_cheers icon_cheers I hate Day Lillies cus they are only here for the day. I once had a Hibiscus, that only flowered one day.

I nursed it all autumn then cursed it when I found the flower on day 2 on the window ledge.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

kata wrote:...I am year 2 with my giant Lillies from Jeager, last year they were beautiful. I hate Day Lillies cus they are only here for the day. I once had a Hibiscus, that only flowered one day. I nursed it all autumn then cursed it when I found the flower on day 2 on the window ledge.
...that's a really beautiful lily Kata. You're right about day lillies only lasting one day but they make new flowers every day for a few weeks. You just dead head them. Hisbiscus: I hope mine do as well this year as they did last because I got huge flowers for weeks on end. icon_sunny

Ness
Zephyr

Post by Zephyr »

HarryandNess wrote: You just dead head them.
Or eat them, they taste great!