fargesia robusta autumn shooting

jacko

Re: fargesia robusta autumn shooting

Post by jacko »

having had a relatively mild winter its not at all bad for winter leaf burn here.my nigra is shedding some old leaves as well as the yellow vivax my huangwenzhu vivax is fine and they are right next to each other and the same age.it is natural for them to shed leaves this time of year like having an autumn leaf fall in early spring.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

done a check tonight and all the bamboo's have come through winter pretty much unscathed icon_thumleft

tattiest of the lot, still not sure if i'm keen on this one

Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I also have a Fargesia jiuzhaigou and I don't know what to make of mine in terms of performance either :?

I bought it 5 years ago and it has been in the ground for coming out for 2 now and its performance is slow and lacklustre. I have grown two of its parent, Fargesa nitida and both of them grew well. Maybe this is the year it really comes alive :fingers crossed:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Adam D wrote:I also have a Fargesia jiuzhaigou and I don't know what to make of mine in terms of performance either :?

I bought it 5 years ago and it has been in the ground for coming out for 2 now and its performance is slow and lacklustre. I have grown two of its parent, Fargesa nitida and both of them grew well. Maybe this is the year it really comes alive :fingers crossed:

i think the leaves are so small it lacks any punch or impact icon_scratch

you got any pics of yours when bought and 5 years on Adam?
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

cordyman wrote:
Adam D wrote:I also have a Fargesia jiuzhaigou and I don't know what to make of mine in terms of performance either :?

I will have to look on my laptop and see if I have any old shots. Failing that I remember buying it from www.junglegiants.co.uk and it was one of their 10 litre jobs (I think). I will check my invoice.

To be honest I am quite that it is a finer leaved bamboo because of where it is in the garden.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Garden feb 21 2012 058.JPG
This is my oldest one ...taken today...

Laz
jacko

Post by jacko »

heres some pics of my Fargesia jiuzhaigou 'genf ' plus some pics of robusta,scabrida and spectabilis shoots.
Attachments
Fargesia jiuzhaigou
Fargesia jiuzhaigou
Fargesia jiuzhaigou
Fargesia jiuzhaigou
Fargesia jiuzhaigou
Fargesia jiuzhaigou
fargesia robusta
fargesia robusta
fargesia robusta with 1p piece.
fargesia robusta with 1p piece.
fargesia scabrida
fargesia scabrida
phyllostachys aureosulcata spectabilis
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

cordyman wrote:

Right, I have just checked my old emails and I bought my Fargesia jiuzhaigou almost 4 years ago, it was what they called 15/20 litre size and it has been in the ground for almost 18 months (I was wrong on all the details :P ).

This picture was taken in August 2010, not long before it went in the ground.

It has grown since being in the ground, but it certainly a slow burner, but that is what I want it to be given the space it now occupies.

I like the look of Lazlo's culms - hopefully mine will go like that this year :)
Attachments
DSCF0100 (Medium).JPG
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

thanks guys!

concur lazlo's are super green and healthy looking, i'll wait with hope on this years culms icon_thumleft

Its handy to no its not a rampant monster space wise as I may move mine to a tighter location to appreciate it more