Gogglebox's Garden Blog:Year Three

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
The Codfather

Re: Gogglebox's Garden Blog: The Temple of Light

Post by The Codfather »

icon_thumleft
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
dino

Post by dino »

Fantastic Goggle. Bet you could charge people to see it.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

to be honest mate i think giving up on the roof idea has hurt the overall design a tad.

could you not get a large plastic mould to put over the top in summer to give it a temple roof or something like that?

or maybe some ornaments along the top too.
it feels like it ends to abrubtly imho.
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

That's unbelievable, it looks like an attraction in a theme park. Well done!

I reckon it would look even better if it were lit up at night with flaming torches
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Well Goggle as far as I'm concerned you have absolutely RUINED it :lol: , job well done, now a thick application of yogurt and doggy do and it'll be perfect.

Put some citronella candles in your buddhas cups for night time :wink:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks everyone for the kind comments :DD
gdudey wrote:That's unbelievable, it looks like an attraction in a theme park. Well done!

I reckon it would look even better if it were lit up at night with flaming torches
I have got some candle holders that need to go in along with some other dressings but there are lights in there now and I'm intending to buy some gels to add some atmosphere.

Here's how it currently looks at night using different camera settings:

Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Looking great Goggs. icon_thumleft Have you considered putting some ` up-lighting` facing the temple? I`ve been to India and visited many Temples and sites out there and they always have up-lighting shining on them at night. Makes them look pretty awesome after dark. Am thinking of buying some of these to up-light some of my bamboos and Palms when my gardens a bit more complete. £60 for a pack of 4. Four of these shining up towards your Temple from quite close would look pretty cool i think.

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/lighting/o ... 0w-9261667
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks Andy ;)

Yes, I did consider spots and also the kind of decking lights that Ste uses but in the end I decided not to because the lights I have in the raised bed fronts and under the waterfall provide good ambient light and any more might verge on overkill.

When having BBQs I want the Temple to be a main seating area so having it well lit inside seems more approriate, especially when I can use the tubes to aid growth in winter months too.

Hopefully adding a few coloured gels will create a softer ambiance similar to what Deedee has acheived with her outdoor covered seating area.

If I start adding anything else electrical it will definitely have to be a set of weatherproof speakers.

;)
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mint icon_thumright

A lot of hard graft has paid off handsomely! I agree with del a couple of beds either side and a meandering path to the entrance will complete the look icon_cheers
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

wow gogs its amazing, love the lighting and the shadows of the plants, just amazing, what does your wife think of it? i bet she's been there helping with the hard graft icon_thumleft
Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Thanks Andy ;)

Yes, I did consider spots and also the kind of decking lights that Ste uses but in the end I decided not to because the lights I have in the raised bed fronts and under the waterfall provide good ambient light

;)
You have done an amazing job there. Looks really great.

Just wondering - have you any photos of your waterfall?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

looks a bit spooky with just two little fella siloulettes, you neighbours might think you have prowers :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Andrew Smith wrote:
GoggleboxUK wrote:Thanks Andy ;)

Yes, I did consider spots and also the kind of decking lights that Ste uses but in the end I decided not to because the lights I have in the raised bed fronts and under the waterfall provide good ambient light

;)
You have done an amazing job there. Looks really great.

Just wondering - have you any photos of your waterfall?
Thanks Andrew.

Yes, there are some shots of the waterfall at night on the early pages of the blog somewhere but the plants have filled out nicely since they were taken.

I'll be taking more later this year as I want to re-lay the base panel at some point. There'll also be a video later this year which will show it off better than pictures I hope.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I love that 2nd pic icon_thumleft

I really should sort out some lighting, it makes such a difference to a garden.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

That lighting is freakin awesome Gogg!! Love it!

I agree with Andy about the uplighting though. You wouldnt run both at once, but if you just want to feature the structure from the house or garden, turn off the inside lights, on the with uplights and it will be just breathtaking...