James Young's Garden Blog - 19/06/2012 - UPDATE!!

Jamesyoung

James Young's Garden Blog - 19/06/2012 - UPDATE!!

Post by Jamesyoung »

This is my garden.......it has no palms, no exotic plants, its infested with horrible trees, has old falling down fences, the patio has weeds growing through, the grass is mainly weeds/patches and the gate is falling off the hinges and. But most importantly these pictures are the start of my garden transformation into a palm paradise ...... hopefully :)
ill be posting pics of the progress :wink:

the other pics is of my medium sized Trachycarpus that lost all of its fans in the winter hopefully it will have a few back before the summers over.
Attachments
our  garden before.jpg
our  garden before 2.jpg
medium trachy no fans.jpg
Last edited by Jamesyoung on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
grub

Re: My Garden

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard James, nice little space you have there that should be easy to give a tropical feel. icon_thumleft
Simba

Post by Simba »

I'd agree with grub, you have a blank canvas to work from there..... icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Or it will be a blank canvas after 3 weeks of backbreaking work to get rid of the weeds!

:lol:

Nice starting point though, good luck with your remodelling and welcome to HTUK.

;)
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

You have some tall hedges and trees that will help provide shelter for your future tropicals....good luck with it and keep us posted icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Couple of nice trees there too! icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Welcome James. icon_thumleft

Plenty of scope there. If it's any help, my biggest life saver was weed control fabric. I started a new garden last year and i sprayed everything with weed killer before covering everything but the lawns with fabric. Rarely pick a weed out now, big time saver.
kata

Post by kata »

Jamesyoung wrote:This is my garden.......it has no palms, no exotic plants, its infested with horrible trees, has old falling down fences, the patio has weeds growing through, the grass is mainly weeds/patches and the gate is falling off the hinges.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You paint such a wonderful picture, welcome James.

Its a great space as others have said. Take your time, enjoy creating a garden to put Kew in the shade.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Nice opportunity youve got there James!

We will all be keen to see how your garden progresses. Have you thought about what plants you want to grow?

Sean
Jamesyoung

Post by Jamesyoung »

thanks for the replys all. First thing will be stripping the garden bare and getting nice new fences in 8)

I may have hit the jackpot too as my aunt and uncle are buying a new house that has 3 trachycarpus fortunei's they dont want 2 are about 10 foot trunks and the other is a 6 foot trunk !!! so hopefully it happens.... i love freebees lol

i want to have mainly palms a - waggies, trachys, a butia and want to try growing a washingtonia robusta. i have quite a shaded side too so want some tree ferns.
also would love a big banna tree but i dont think im quite experienced enough to keep one alive.
i have no real idea of other tropical plants and want to learn more (the reason i joined the forum ) so when it starts coming together some advice and input would be great :D
grub

Post by grub »

Basjoo is easy for you up there honest! The Washy though is probably a non starter :(
Bob

Post by Bob »

As others have said, A nice blank canvas with no major landscaping to do. A big bonus is your conservatory (wish I had one) for those tender things you'll be overwintering. :wink: Keep us updated with the progress.
Jamesyoung

Re: My Garden - 9/04/2012 UPDATE!!

Post by Jamesyoung »

9/04/2012 UPDATE!!

Well its been a while but finally fully gutted the garden! I got rid of all of the old trees (digging up roots is hard work) and bushes, then put up new fences all round.
Because all of my money has been going on the fences and getting garden to a blank canvas state I thought i would treat myself today to a nice Phoenix canariensis_CIDP!! (£65 Morrisons)

also thought i would post a pic (bad light) of how my little Trachycarpus has got on since last years winter damage.

next step is turf............
Attachments
CIDP.JPG
TRACHY.JPG
GARDEN PIC 1.JPG
GARDEN PIC 2.JPG
andyb

Post by andyb »

That's a good job you've done there, must be glad all the hard works done and you can now get on with the planting, the Trachycarpus appears quite well also.
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

Very nice James icon_thumleft your garden is really taking shape. It is clear to see that you have worked very hard, and the area is a testament to that. Did you get any help with the work? They had one of those large Phoenix canariensis_CIDP at my local Morrisons today but it had a sold sticker on it. Great value if you can get it through the winter. :D