I think we'll be Frost Free from now on

otorongo

Re: I think we'll be Frost Free from now on

Post by otorongo »

This may not be good for my tropicals, but it's surely good for my winter greens. The kale jungle has been supplying me with material for green smoothies since late March and if this weather continues, I might need a machete :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

icon_silent icon_silent icon_aaargh icon_colors
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

i have just had to deal with the dreaded goo on one of my knuckles, it was fine last week so must of got caught by the frost i had 4 days ago. :roll: I haven't cut that frond of yet though as it isn't pushed out enough, it isn't black but it is leaking the goo, i have cleaned off what was there and will check it again tomorrow.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

sanatic1234 wrote:i have just had to deal with the dreaded goo on one of my knuckles, it was fine last week so must of got caught by the frost i had 4 days ago. :roll: I haven't cut that frond of yet though as it isn't pushed out enough, it isn't black but it is leaking the goo, i have cleaned off what was there and will check it again tomorrow.
Do you have a picture?

The fronds weep when damaged which is normal but I would be extremely surprised if you had "the goo", which is normally associated with the death of the main meristem. I would cut the damaged frond right back.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

it was the goo tom, oranage and like a gel type substance. i will take a pic of the knuckle the goo won't be there now as i cleaned it off unless more has pushed out. i will get a pic sorted. i could of damaged it may be when putting the fleece ball inside?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

If it is the "goo" then is will almost certainly be due to older damage, probably sustained during the winter. I would flush it away and cut away anything that isn't green an living and hope for the best. A picture would be good to confirm.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Here you go tom just got a picture to show it. The rest of the crown looks fine just that one knuckle.
Attachments
Damaged knuckle.jpg
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Thankfully its not the "goo" mate, its just the natural plant sap (or whatever its called) that leaks out when the frond is damaged. It just looks frost damaged/killed so just get a sharp pair of secateurs and cut the frond out. There should be one underneath that will push through. You will see more of the sap for a while, but don't worry, its just normal, especially as its growing at the moment.

This is a picture of the goo http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... &start=120
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That is good to know tom :D I will cut it off tomorrow morning. I will try to get as low as i can with it still being so tucked up inside the crown.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Tom2006 wrote:Thankfully its not the "goo" mate, its just the natural plant sap (or whatever its called) that leaks out when the frond is damaged. It just looks frost damaged/killed so just get a sharp pair of secateurs and cut the frond out. There should be one underneath that will push through. You will see more of the sap for a while, but don't worry, its just normal, especially as its growing at the moment.

This is a picture of the goo http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... &start=120

Cheers Tom for reminding me. icon_rambo :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

sanatic1234 wrote:That is good to know tom :D I will cut it off tomorrow morning. I will try to get as low as i can with it still being so tucked up inside the crown.
It doesn't have to be right down, just enough to get rid of the frond. icon_thumleft

Sorry Kris, I nearly wrote a disclaimer :oops: :lol: