Blue Fern.

jungle jas

Blue Fern.

Post by jungle jas »

Hi folks,
Any one know of a hardy blue fern, and were to acquire one . Thanks.
caminthegarden

Re: Blue Fern.

Post by caminthegarden »

Have you seen dryopteris sieboldii, I will post a pic I . , took today , its blueish, lovely totally hardy i have another one , amazing blue ,from houseplant section of G Centre, survived a few years ,outside,the most
luminous blue ever, name escapes me ,now I just put out in Summer,
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

cant seem to get the hang of posting pic , ie re sizing , third time lucky?!
Attachments
DSC_0346.jpg
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks for the information, looks great, I will try to get hold of one. Regards Jason.
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

Hi - I saw a similar one this summer and it was identified to me as Phlebodium pseudoaureum - pic below. Seems to be similar to the pic above.
Phlebodium pseudoaureum (2)-qpr.jpg
Any ferns experts that can clarify?
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

Ian Cooke wrote:Hi - I saw a similar one this summer and it was identified to me as Phlebodium pseudoaureum - pic below. Seems to be similar to the pic above.
Phlebodium pseudoaureum (2)-qpr.jpg
Any ferns experts that can clarify?
Does look very similar Ian , but to my eye not quite identical,is that in England ?It is looks paler and more grey blue ,and very desirable !
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

Yes - in a little exotic garden in Nottingham open under the NGS scheme.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks Ian, another nice fern to lookout for. Let me know were the garden is I will take a spade. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi to you both, thought I would give you an update on the blue fern. Persistence pay off. Just found one at shady plants so did a dodgy deal and I have one winging its way from Ireland as I type. The plant is called Phlebodium Pseudoaureum Virginia Blue. The reason you both know it by two different names is that it has had a name change recently. Thanks. icon_thumright
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

Thank you JJ , but I still dont think its the same plant . Mine is as tough as old boots , and not so blue , and more pointy leaves,Imight copy you and order one too from shady plants and we shall see !!
Dim

Post by Dim »

one of the japanese painted ferns has a bluish/grey colour during summer

Athyrium niponicum 'Pictum'

http://www.onlineplantguide.com/PlantDe ... ant_id=212

jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

caminthegarden wrote:Thank you JJ , but I still dont think its the same plant . Mine is as tough as old boots , and not so blue , and more pointy leaves,Imight copy you and order one too from shady plants and we shall see !!
Blue plants can look totally different, depending on the light conditions they are photographed in. icon_thumright

Dim, the Pictum looks very pretty. icon_thumright
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

The undersides of Lophosorias are a nice blue, but it seems to me that the colour is stronger on 2nd year leaves as they start to get a bit tatty.

I'm hoping that my one will eventually get tall enough so that I can see the undersides without turning the leaves over; I can't personally get much shorter so this won't help.
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

Confused now , so whats new , are you saying that Lophosaria is same plant as well ??I still think Ians fern is different from mine , and I am going to dig out a photo to confuse things even more !
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

No, I was responding to the original question about a hardy blue fern. Lophosoria is a very different fern altogether, sorry if I've caused confusion.