Shefflera macrophylla

Doug-Tews

Shefflera macrophylla

Post by Doug-Tews »

Greetings...it's been ages since I've posted anything. With the last three horrible winters, I know some people have had problems with these. However, I've been most fortunate with my Shefflera macrophylla, as it's doing very well indeed. Of course, here on the Isle of Wight it doesn't get as bad as some of you guys experience. Nonetheless, mine has been through several brutal winters with temperatures down to -6C. It's seen -5C too many times to count and I believe it was two years ago we had over 48 hours continuous below 0 degrees...followed by a couple hour respite and then plunging below another 24 hours. Amazingly, this thing has shrugged it all off.

What makes this specimen especially attractive is it has two trunks, one slightly higher than the other making for a nice full plant. The first two seasons saw nearly a foot of new trunk each year. However, last year it exploded. After the first flush of new growth, it then followed with another flush, something it didn't do the previous two years. As a result, I saw an amazing two feet of trunk added just last year.

I just took the pictures below today, so this is what it looks like even after another wretched winter. To say I'm tickled with this plant is an understatement. It really blends in nicely with bamboos and palms.
Attachments
Shefflera1.jpg
Shefflera3.jpg
call

Re: Shefflera macrophylla

Post by call »

wow :D
must have :!: :!: :!: :!:
Springy

Post by Springy »

I love these plants so much that if I had a child I would sell it to get one but I haven't so I guess it's a kidney that's got to go!! :shock:

What an absolute beauty!!' icon_thumleft
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

What an awesome plant!

I remember your previous photos.
call

Post by call »

Springy wrote:I love these plants so much that if I had a child I would sell it to get one but I haven't so I guess it's a kidney that's got to go!! :shock:

a bit drastic springs
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Springy wrote:I love these plants so much that if I had a child I would sell it to get one but I haven't so I guess it's a kidney that's got to go!! :shock:

Don`t listen to Call Springy, I to would sell your child for one of those! I have a nice Hoi that was cut down to ground level in 10/11 winter at -8c, but that is growing well now. Not a patch on Macrophylla. Who`s selling them. :mrgreen: icon_thumright :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

crug still has the ones for £85 don't they?

that plant is amazing.i hope mine lasts long enough to be like that icon_thumleft
Bob

Post by Bob »

An absolute cracker Doug! icon_salut
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

looks stunning doug really wish this was more readilly available.. but still worth having at £85...
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Anybody tried winter protection on these?? They are amazing looking plants. Doug yours is fantastic.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

What a stunner. icon_thumleft

Congrats on your achievement , you must be well chuffed icon_salut
Chad

Post by Chad »

I don’t know how much Paul is asking for them from Edulis. His is an independent [that is not via Crug] seed introduction. I think Nick’s plants at PanGlobal may have come from him.

I wish mine looked respectable; let alone as wonderful as yours!

I’ll post pictures of mine if it isn’t raining too hard tomorrow. I’m glad I got cuttings of it. There isn’t much left after the last few winters; and this is in Cornwall! Up country this will need winter protection.

Chad.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Well done Doug, it looks amazing. icon_thumleft Too cold to grow well here methinks so please keep posting pictures for us to drool over :D

Ness
Doug-Tews

Post by Doug-Tews »

Mr List wrote:crug still has the ones for £85 don't they?
Yes, that's what Crug still has them listed for, although I would swear mine was originally closer to £100.

When I picked mine up I asked Bleddyn for the largest he had. He came back and said he really didn't have any larger one's left...but had this double stemmed one. Getting that was the best thing I ever did. It's made the plant look so much fuller. You can see it below when I first got it, and then a few months later after some initial growth. You can see it was happy.

Bleddyn talked about it having pretty lime green leaves, which was true. However, I could see some darkness around the veins and was suspicious it wasn't really supposed to look like this. I sprinkled a mix of iron, manganese and magnesium sulfates around it and also started watering it with Maxicrop+Iron. It immediately darkened up and took right off.

Next week I'm going up there to pick up a Shefflera taiwaniana!
Attachments
Schefflera Macrophylla 03-09 copy.jpg
Schefflera Macrophylla copy.jpg
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Amazing foliage!

I used to have a Schefflera arboricola with variegated leaves. It grew on my balcony all year round without protection. I saw one the other day at a local nursery, advertised as a house plant.