I've replaced my dead Phoenix Canariensis

jawsum

I've replaced my dead Phoenix Canariensis

Post by jawsum »

Today I replaced my dead Phoenix Canariensis ( from my other thread ) with this which was ten quid in Morrisons. I got the planter half price from the garden centre because it was a bit manky but it should clean up okay. Now I think I shall return next week and do the same again so I can have a matching pair.

dino

Re: I've replaced my dead Phoenix Canariensis

Post by dino »

That's one healthy looking plant. Hope it stays that way. icon_thumleft
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

Looks a good buy icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i'll third that icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Thats a good quality one at a great price.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I saw these today in morrisons, lovely plants, there were also some nice acers for £10 but not red which is what i want, grapevines for a fiver as well which had plenty of growth on them, lovely healthy plants icon_thumleft Your Phoenix canariensis_CIDP looks great in the pot Jawsum icon_thumleft
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

We went to Morrisons last week & saw them at £10 each with a 'Half price' label on. When I went to pay I was asked for £5 so I went and got another one.
2 for a tenner! Reading all the above postings makes me think someone boobed!
ME, I should have bought the lot!!! :lol:

Ness
medjool

Post by medjool »

These palms are at Morrisons in Leominster also saw a label on one Vivercid(Valencia)
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Cheap as chips. A definite bargain but i don`t seem to be able to keep one of these alive in my garden. I`ve had 4 or 5 of them over the past few years and i`ve managed to kill them all - All bar one-and that ones looking very sad at the mo too. I`ve found if the frosts don`t kill them then the wind does. It seems to be permanently windy in my garden and they just can`t take it. Despite all my efforts to keep them sheltered from winds and wrapped from frosts they all very rapidly start to look terrible and go down hill. I`d love a large Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in my garden but i`m sticking to Waggies and Chammies.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

They are a bargain & i agree look great when bought new!. Long term though you may as well p---s in the wind :lol: , as said above chammy's & trachys are a better solid investment for your garden.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Very nice, pop it in the playhouse for winter and you've got yourself a decent palm for a good few years before you need to risk it when it gets too big to move, then maybe we;ll get back to some milder winters again.

Is that the Hadleigh branch of Morrison's? I've heard they also sell Eddoes.
jawsum

Post by jawsum »

Nigel Fear wrote:Very nice, pop it in the playhouse for winter and you've got yourself a decent palm for a good few years before you need to risk it when it gets too big to move, then maybe we;ll get back to some milder winters again.

Is that the Hadleigh branch of Morrison's? I've heard they also sell Eddoes.
Morrisons @ Canvey Island, they have a new garden centre type thing out the front.

Sorry but I wouldn't know my Eddoe from my elbow, what's an Eddoe ? icon_scratch
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

jawsum wrote: what's an Eddoe ? icon_scratch
Look up Colocasia Esculenta in the 'aroid' section, huge big leaved plants icon_thumleft

Ness
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Jawsum, a good buy but I reckon it will out grow that pot if we have a good summer.
I've given up with them, even down here not many have survived the last two winters