Cyathea Medularis + other bits

pdid

Cyathea Medularis + other bits

Post by pdid »

I managed to pick up one of my must have plants this year this weekend, along with a few other bits from Amulree :D

Medularis fronded and fully rooted approx 15cm trunk, 4ft fronds, coke can for scale:
medularis.jpg
Begonia Luxurians:
luxurians.jpg
Musa Mekong Giant:
mekong.jpg
Arisaema Utile:
utile.jpg
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Cyathea Medularis + other bits

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Nice little haul Phil icon_thumleft

Likin' the medularis, similar size to my own.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Nice, would quite like one of those Begonias myself, are you gonna keep it in a pot so you can move it for winter or plant it then dig it up ?
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

medullaris a definite no frost plant...but so gorgeous

wish i'd known you were going, i'd love a mekong giant..
pdid

Post by pdid »

Cheers, Andy yes the begonia will stay in a pot at least for the next few years.

Dave if I get some pups you'll be welcome to one, I was on a stag do on the broads so thought I'd make the most of my time down there. The weather was abysmal which made the plant haul the only productive part of the trip!

Mark, it was you're pics which made me want a medullaris, ideally I would have liked a little more trunk but they are difficult to get hold of and the cost would have broken my £100 rule.
Arlon Tishmarsh

pdid wrote: Mark, it was you're pics which made me want a medullaris, ideally I would have liked a little more trunk but they are difficult to get hold of and the cost would have broken my £100 rule.
I wouldn't worry about the trunk Phil, mine was same size as yours when i bought it about 18 months ago. Trunk wise still more or less the same but the fronds last summer were very impressive. I pot plunged mine in a biggish pot which it root filled in no time. I fed mine with chick poo brew .

I doubt you'll be disappointed icon_thumleft
Rod

Post by Rod »

Nice buys Phil,
Love the Begonia luxurians - but virtually impossible to find here in New Zealand.

Cyathea medullaris here in my garden can take down to -2°c to -3°c before losing its fronds to frost.

But my Dicksonia fibrosa's are evergreen all year round.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

what are your plans for the mekong giant?
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mr List wrote:what are your plans for the mekong giant?
It will stay in a pot in the conservatory to bulk up a little more and will then be planted out sometime in June. Hopefully it will produce a few pups which I can remove and keep inside as insurance over Winter.

It is supposed to be as root hardy as basjoo.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: I wouldn't worry about the trunk Phil, mine was same size as yours when i bought it about 18 months ago. Trunk wise still more or less the same but the fronds last summer were very impressive. I pot plunged mine in a biggish pot which it root filled in no time. I fed mine with chick poo brew .

I doubt you'll be disappointed icon_thumleft
Mark what size pot and what compost mix did you use for it?
Arlon Tishmarsh

pdid wrote: Mark what size pot and what compost mix did you use for it?
Couple of pics Phil.

Medi not fronded at the mo but last summer probs about 5 /6 foot each. I was very impressed.

Medularis..........
DSC02053 (Copy).JPG
Next to one of the cooperi getting a good soak this morning.............
DSC02054 (Copy).JPG
As far as potting mix, with all the cyathea i've used B&Q multi purpose and then mixed in some wood chip and also added some of my own crushed dry tree leaves from last autumn. Seems to keep it nice and loose and seems to work.
They fill a pot with root very quickly in my experience.
icon_thumleft
Simba

Post by Simba »

pdid wrote:I managed to pick up one of my must have plants this year this weekend, along with a few other bits from Amulree :D
I saw the Amulree Medularis at a plant fair last weekend, and they were very nice. I would definately have had one myself if I had anywhere to keep one... icon_thumleft
pdid

Post by pdid »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: As far as potting mix, with all the cyathea i've used B&Q multi purpose and then mixed in some wood chip and also added some of my own crushed dry tree leaves from last autumn. Seems to keep it nice and loose and seems to work.
They fill a pot with root very quickly in my experience.
icon_thumleft
Cheers and nice pics icon_thumleft
Simba wrote: I saw the Amulree Medularis at a plant fair last weekend, and they were very nice. I would definately have had one myself if I had anywhere to keep one... icon_thumleft
Yeah I spoke to Simon while I was there, he told me he took 2 and sold both within half an hour icon_thumright