Pdid`s garden blog (Bin sump in action)

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
pdid

Pdid`s garden blog (Bin sump in action)

Post by pdid »

I thought it was about time I started this to keep track of my garden`s progress and stop me creating a new thread for every purchase :!:

The garden was landscaped at the back end of 2010, before this it was three walls of overgrown shrubs and trees most of which have been removed.

1st is the 2011 pics:

2011(5).jpg
2011(6).jpg
2011(7).jpg
2011(8).jpg
2011(9).jpg
Last edited by pdid on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:42 am, edited 19 times in total.
Simba

Re: Pdid`s garden pic`s

Post by Simba »

Definately heading in the right direction mate, but I'd suggest you curve some of those straight lines to make it even more visually appealing... icon_thumleft
pdid

Post by pdid »

I thought I had a few from later in the year but they seem to have gone missing, I have a couple of the tree ferns though:
fern3.jpg
fern2.jpg
fern1.jpg
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

You have some lovely plants there, that strelitzia is a monster :mrgreen: , keep planting, it'll be a jungle in no time icon_thumleft
pdid

Post by pdid »

And now on to 2012:
4.5.12(1).jpg
4.5.12(2).jpg
4.5.12(3).jpg
4.5.12(4).jpg
4.5.12(5).jpg
4.5.12(6).jpg
4.5.12(7).jpg
4.5.12(8).jpg
4.5.12(9).jpg
4.5.12(10).jpg
pdid

Post by pdid »

And 2012 cont....
4.5.12(11).jpg
4.5.12(12).jpg
4.5.12(13).jpg
4.5.12(14).jpg
4.5.12(15).jpg
4.5.12(16).jpg
4.5.12(17).jpg
4.5.12(18).jpg
cyatheaA5.12.jpg
pdid

Post by pdid »

And finally (for now) recent purchases and seedlings waiting to be planted out:
medullaris.jpg
agave5.12.jpg
monty.jpg
nannas5.12.jpg
ricinus5.12.jpg
seedlings.jpg
smensete.jpg
and an upskirt Medularis to finish off!!
meddy2.jpg
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

That dwarf wall with the coping stones on top looks superb. Have you wired in lighting too?

That's a great space to work with, lots of room for big plants. It should be a really noticeable difference over the next few years as you r plants mature and you add more to it.

Are you working to a theme?
pdid

Post by pdid »

Simba wrote:Definately heading in the right direction mate, but I'd suggest you curve some of those straight lines to make it even more visually appealing... icon_thumleft
Thanks Kev, As you can see with the later pics I need the lawn as I have 2 little`uns and have a big swing/ slide in the way! I`ve not got round to re-edging it this year but I`ll try and add a few little curves for you!
Trudytropics wrote:You have some lovely plants there, that strelitzia is a monster :mrgreen: , keep planting, it'll be a jungle in no time icon_thumleft
Thanks Trudy, It was a monster, I split it going into Winter 2011 as it was too big to over Winter, but it has recovered well as you can see in this years pics.
pdid

Post by pdid »

GoggleboxUK wrote:That dwarf wall with the coping stones on top looks superb. Have you wired in lighting too?

That's a great space to work with, lots of room for big plants. It should be a really noticeable difference over the next few years as you r plants mature and you add more to it.

Are you working to a theme?
Cheers Rick. No further lighting at the minute but obviously the cable is there should I wish to extend at a later date.

No theme other than see a plant, want a plant, buy a plant. My trouble is finding the plants to blend everything together which i`ve not quite mastered yet!
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Mastering what plants should go where and with what is certainly an art form and certainly one i`m a bit clueless with. But i`m learning all the time. Id definitely agree with Simba though as regards the lawn borders. You need to add some curves there. Very straight lawn edges next to a planting bed are a big no no i think. Especially so with a tropical garden. icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

is this ornamental rhubarb?

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/d ... &mode=view

where did you get it?

nice to see you curved the end of the lawn off icon_thumleft
can't say i approve of the playhouse icon_geek

would be nice to have some names of the plants in each photos because i don't recognise a lot.

looking good. icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

pdid, the pink tree in the planter is the exact same as i have, i think they blend very well with other tropicals & keep the colours interesting, only downside is they dont flower for very long.
kata

Post by kata »

Its coming along nicely Pdid,

I do love the ferns!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

Nice garden, and fantastic arrangement of plants, with loads to go in. Are you able to give me the name of the plant in the black pot next to the Fatsia Polycarpa? Thanks icon_thumleft