brown ooze on tree fern

Delboy

Re: brown ooze on tree fern

Post by Delboy »

Well I'm guessing they've had a few similar emails.
I still think they will be ok but it's definitely worth trying to get a response from them just for your records.

I'd like to think for the money spent there would some sort of guarantee.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

I paid extra before I knew about this other website and got mine at Paramount Plants, it's pushing a frond out and looking healthy at the moment. They even sent it in a pot(unrooted though).
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Not even got a reply. I just wont ever order from them again icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Well i said i had doubts but.............. i just had to get a couple so took the plunge.
Ordered on Tues, delivered Weds am in a crate and they aint lookin too bad, no black ooze so fingers crossed icon_cheers
Attachments
DA 3ft 2.JPG
DA 6ft 1.JPG
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Loving the 6ft one.....never used them....but its hard not to at the priced they offer and loads of people have had no problems with them.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Looking good mate, like I said before everything I previously ordered has been great and the service good too.
Non of mine have come in a crate tho, just wrapped in black weed membrane.

Mine is still oozing sap but I'm still convinced they will be fine.
If they are not then at least I have a record that the issue was bought up previously.

My 3 footer I had last year has some massive knuckles on the move.
I think the new ones will just be a few months behind.
shanks

Post by shanks »

mine did'nt come in a crate either, still never received a reply despite me saying i would send pictures, not great customer service really, see how it goes
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Checking out my 5 footer again earlier and realised there was another black knuckle.
It looked fine but when I moved the fur it was black underneath, i gave it a prod and it just fell to peices!!

The other knuckles seem ok, all 3 of them :roll: altho they have not moved a bit since I've owned it.
Im worried about it now, seagraves don't seem interested altho it was delivered like this.
I've kept it frost free and it's had plenty of water.
It was so dry when I got it, really light I carried it under one arm.

I'm hoping new knuckles will come up now the dead ones have been removed.

I will b livid if I've been sold a dud. :evil:
andyb

Post by andyb »

Delboy wrote:Checking out my 5 footer again earlier and realised there was another black knuckle.
It looked fine but when I moved the fur it was black underneath, i gave it a prod and it just fell to peices!!

The other knuckles seem ok, all 3 of them :roll: altho they have not moved a bit since I've owned it.
Im worried about it now, seagraves don't seem interested altho it was delivered like this.
I've kept it frost free and it's had plenty of water.
It was so dry when I got it, really light I carried it under one arm.

I'm hoping new knuckles will come up now the dead ones have been removed.

I will b livid if I've been sold a dud. :evil:
Del did you just say you carried a 5 footer under your arm ?

My 6 footer was very very heavy ( particularly the top ) and it took 2 of us to carry it thru the garage to the back garden and it was just me when i planted it and i thought id dislocated something when it nearly fell over and i had to catch it.
BTW my 3 ft one has a black almost charcoal like knuckle but all else appears good, fingers crossed
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Yep, im only 5' 6", my Dicksonia antarctica is about the same size if not taller, i carried it under one arm from the doorstep to the bottom of the garden no problem.
the delivery driver thought it was a roll of carpet and had it on his shoulder, then dropped it onto the doorstep (crown first) before i had chance to tell him what it was.

The wife came out to help with the lift but i told her no need as it was so light.

Last year my 3 footer was twice as heavy.

Once i'd soaked it, it was bloody heavy then lol.
Oh well its in its final spot now and the top will be fleeced if a frost is due, its just a waiting game now but i didn't expect black knuckles on a new Dicksonia antarctica.

Im just hoping its just the knuckles that got damaged, and a nice new set will soon follow but its worrying that the few that are green/firm havent budged at all, im just waiting now for these to turn black too.

I bet if you gave your black knuckle a little wiggle/prod it will just break up like mine. charcoal is a good description.
At a glance they looked fine, its when you move the fur aside the black is obvious.

My 2 footer altho covered in sap with black frond bases looks ok, there are knuckles far down in the crown and altho they look quite small they are definately moving.

So dissapointed as my 3 footer last year was pristine, no black anywhere and no sap.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Even though iv'e no idea what weight i expected yours sounds incredibly light which would suggest very dry, yes iv'e wiggled the black knuckle and it does just break up all others appear to be firm though.
The 3ft has a couple of green knuckles so i'm guessing they're healthy ( should have a praying smilie for these moments )
I'm watering every day even though it rains every day at the minute just to keep them damp and with a bit of luck start into growth and rooting.

Shame Seagraves can't be more reactive as even though they're the cheapest these things are still quite pricey ( don't tell the wife :lol: )

Hope both ours turn out well
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Yeah we've had loads of rain but I've still been watering them.
I told the wife my 5 footer was £30, she asked me to buy another as a pressie for her mom :?
Luckily seagrave were sold out :wink: no wonder at those prices lol.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

I really do hope your tree ferns are ok! You could have knocked me down with a feather yesterday. A local garden centre had a 2 footer for £175.00!!!! :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:

Ness
andyb

Post by andyb »

£30 i'll have a dozen next time you order :lol: :lol: :lol: thankfully my wife does'nt usually ask about prices cause she knows i'm tight :lol: :lol:
andyb

Post by andyb »

HarryandNess wrote:I really do hope your tree ferns are ok! You could have knocked me down with a feather yesterday. A local garden centre had a 2 footer for £175.00!!!! :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:

Ness
:shock: :roll: Dick Turpin springs to mind but then somebody will buy it - theres one born every minute