Hardening off a Phoenix Roebelinii?

GoggleboxUK

Hardening off a Phoenix Roebelinii?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I want to harden off my Roebelinii after having it indoors since late October last year.

It has put out loads of new growth over winter and I want to make sure it doesn't shrivel up and die off like my Yuccas did.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by GoggleboxUK on Tue May 08, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Hardening off a Phoenix Roebelinii?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

[quote="GoggleboxUK"]I want to harden off my Roebelinii after having it indoors since late October last year.

It has put out loads of new growth over winter and I want to make sure it doesn't shrivel up and die off like my Yuccas did.

Any suggestions?

[
[img]http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8274/img0002ntd.jpg

Last year a brought mine out from the heated green house to the garage for a week at night and in full shade for the days. The following week left it 24/7 in full shade then put it out in full sun and it was fine. When I say full sun I mean full sun for half the day.
pdid

Post by pdid »

I chucked mine out a month or so ago, I put it in the shadiest spot in the garden for a week and have gradually been moving it into Sun over the past few weeks.

It now gets sun from around 1pm till dusk. It has still scorched slightly but nowhere near as much as B&Q managed to scorch it last year. There is a pic in my blog, can`t re-upload as at work icon_thumleft

I`ll put both pics up later when I get home.
Last edited by pdid on Tue May 08, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

The position I have my mine is in shade from around 12 midday but get's morning sun.

Do you think I'd be better bringing it back indoors at night then putting it out again after 12 for a week or would it be ok overnight now? I'm getting minimums of around 5-6c at the moment with forecasts of 8-9c for next weeks lows.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Defo watch the sun with these Goggle, it sounds like you have it ideally positioned already, avoiding the sun at its hottest point is important. I watched some beauties in a bar round the corner from us shrivel and die within weeks, they were scorched and not watered I suspect. The dead stumps are still there now, I think they're hoping for a miracle :lol:
pdid

Post by pdid »

GoggleboxUK wrote:The position I have my mine is in shade from around 12 midday but get's morning sun.

Do you think I'd be better bringing it back indoors at night then putting it out again after 12 for a week or would it be ok overnight now? I'm getting minimums of around 5-6c at the moment with forecasts of 8-9c for next weeks lows.
Mine has been fine outside, it was out unprotected for the 0c we had on Saturday and shows no signs of damage.

It`s my first year with these though so don`t tak my word as gospel icon_thumright
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

pdid wrote:[

Mine has been fine outside, it was out unprotected for the 0c we had on Saturday and shows no signs of damage.

It`s my first year with these though so don`t tak my word as gospel icon_thumright
Who's had lower without damage?
I'd really like to have a go at growing one of these, and overwintering it in a potting shed where it gets a few degrees below zero,[with the roots and trunk heavily wrapped] but without the radiation frosts that seem to be the most damaging to palms.

As for shade vs. sun, I think they'd look terrific in a shady setting over summer. 8)
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Cheers folks, I might leave it outside then, it seems like it will be OK as I tend to get similar temperatures to Diddy.

;)
pdid

Post by pdid »

Here`s mine last year when I bought it looking a bit crispy:
IMG_20110929_185144 by pdmann80, on Flickr

And this taken last week:
DSC01588 by pdmann80, on Flickr

I had to cut out alot of last years growth as it was fried.
Simba

Post by Simba »

GoggleboxUK wrote: Image

That is looking terrific - I really do think these are THE prettiest palms that we can grow in the UK.... icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Sun damage after these have been inside seems to be it's weakest point.

These are too good to be consigned to a greenhouse or shed overwinter where we may not see them from day to day, which is why I always have it as a houseplant for the winter. The trouble is it makes more good growth inside and this scorches so easily when taken out.

As these are no trouble in cold conditions I have often hardened them off gradually from late winter where low sunshine does them no harm only coming in for freezes and frosts and usually for weekends -still want to enjoy them inside. If I harden them outside later in the spring they have to start somewhere in full shade and even then I seldom allow it June midday sun after finishing hardening it off.
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

i find a dappled shady spot is the answer, and keep it in a bucket of water all yr, worked for me, first time ive over wintered one and it lives and grows ! normally dead, cheers ade ! :) icon_cheers
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Terrific looking palm, just like a miniature palm tree you'd see on your hols :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks guys :D

Simba, these are fast becoming my favourite palm. As Greville says they are such good houseplants that they can be enjoyed all year round. Mine has been nowhere near a window all winter and has come outside looking in great health. The only problem I foresee with these is that they can get very large!

Mine has been in a saucer of water all winter and I am starting to think it might be a good idea to let it stay in the saucer outside. I stand the pot it is planted in on top of the compost in a larger pot so it would be easy to hide the saucer and keep it in a similar habit to was it has been used to indoors.

I guess the only difference will be the overnight lows being slightly lower. Does anyone know if this will create any problems?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Nigel Fear wrote:Who's had lower without damage?
I'd really like to have a go at growing one of these, and overwintering it in a potting shed where it gets a few degrees below zero,[with the roots and trunk heavily wrapped] but without the radiation frosts that seem to be the most damaging to palms.

As for shade vs. sun, I think they'd look terrific in a shady setting over summer. 8)
I had a couple of these growing outside for a few years (before the recent cold winters). They can take a light frost without too much damage, but -2.5C severely damaged them, leading to spear pull. They did however recover, but a second cold winter finished them off for good...

They will acclimatise to full sun, but newly purchased specimens will scorch. They do look better in at least dappled shade anyway as in full sun the fronds tend to grow shorter & less lax...