Heliconia Outdoors?

shed

Heliconia Outdoors?

Post by shed »

Hello, has anyone tried sticking a Heliconia outdoors (and watched it die, etc...)? I was thinking about trying to over-winter a few tender plants in my cellar on a heatmat with some Envirolites and it occurred to me I could waste rather a lot of money trying a Heliconia Rostrata outdoors (for one hot week or whatever) and it could spend most of the rest of time in a dingy hole in the ground, brilliant! Its a tropical dream... Cheers!
dablo93

Re: Heliconia Outdoors?

Post by dablo93 »

I HAD a H. bihai 'Peachy pink, it died, I got it in may and it just died, our summers are too cold.
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

dablo93 wrote:I HAD a H. bihai 'Peachy pink, it died, I got it in may and it just died, our summers are too cold.
Hi Dablo

I am growing one outside since May and it seems to be increasing ok here in Kent. I am not sure where you are when you say 'our summers' as I can't see your location under your name. Could I ask where you are?

many thanks

John

P.S. Hi Shed - I just noticed I don't know where you are either - locations are really helpful under your name on posts as it helps people to answer the type of query you have.

cheers Guys (or Girls - sorry not sure from your names).
shed

Post by shed »

Thanks (sorry it didn't pan out dablo93), it does sound like a bridge too far but perhaps my location (now updated in my profile, phew!) might stand me in good stead. One for next year perhaps if I'm feeling particularly ambitious.
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

I guess I should add that my one will be going indoors come the winter - I have only placed it outside for the summer.

regards

John
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I had a Heliconia once.... am I right in thinking it is a Crabs claw plant? Don't remember what type it was, but was not happy outside, and was decimated by Red Spider Mite inside. I think you probably need a very sheltered place and as much humidity as you can give it. If some are hadry enough to use as summer deck plants I might give them another try. :wink:
HTUK Kew Meet 090208 099.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
simon

Post by simon »

Dave Brown wrote:am I right in thinking it is a Crabs claw plant?
Close, Dave. The common name is lobster claw. I assume the pic you attached is not of the one you used to own.

Am I right in thinking that Rostrata is one of the harder ones to grow? Why is it the showiest plants are always the least hardy?

H. Rostrata I photographed in Borneo.
dablo93

Post by dablo93 »

Hi,
I'm from Holland (bit south of amsterdam)
Ithink it was sensitive for the temperature etc. because it was bare rooted, and very small.
I think that larger specimens will grow better outside;)
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

I have had heliconia rostrata outside in the garden since last April where it still is.Now about 6 feet tall and still producing new leaves.Had no blooms yet but up until now I have always kept it dry in winter,which seemed to be a mistake as it looked a lot better kept watered,although this was inside under cover.It is a lot hardier than I had previously thought.It has multiplied like mad over the last four years,far too big to keep indoors all year round.Chunks of it are available at a tenner