Show Us Your Hostas

huporhaha

Re: Show Us Your Hostas

Post by huporhaha »

And one more that slipped through the net. I think it is the best one I've got.....
Attachments
The best so far.jpg
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

simon wrote:
DiCasS wrote:Seeing your forget-me-not there Simon, did you leave it planted all Winter?
Yes Di. incase other don't know what you are refering to, Myostidium hortensia (top left of the first pic, was left unprotected all winter and remained just about evergreen. It is quite close to the house so is well protected but still got a good dollop of snow. It looks fabulous this spring. I am so impressed that I bought another last weekend at the Savill Garden Plant Fair.
Must be an ideal spot Simon icon_thumleft I've never had much luck with these I've tried twice and lost them both times now. It's a shame cos both the leaves and flowers on these are just gorgeous. I reckon if I'd have tried this year, I might have kept one as it was pretty mild here considering.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Heres a couple of mine, not much to look at but i thought i'd post them up

1st is Sum and substance, 2nd is Summat else icon_scratch
Attachments
hosta sum sub 1.JPG
hosta unknown.JPG
kata

Post by kata »

Clean n green Andy,

Nice!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
andyb

Post by andyb »

kata wrote:Clean n green Andy,

Nice!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Thanks Kata, just looked at the 2nd lot while watering stuff with the hose and there's loads of holes in em now :lol:

Time for more pellets..............
kata

Post by kata »

Never been owned by an Hosta Andy.......... :lol: :lol:

But, I love the new types at Chelsea

:mrgreen:
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Gotta show you mine
Attachments
IMAGE_002.jpg
IMAGE_010.jpg
IMAGE_004.jpg
IMAGE_005.jpg
IMAGE_006.jpg
IMAGE_008.jpg
IMAGE_014.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Lovely plants CL

Now whats your secret........ :lol:
andyb

Post by andyb »

CL, no holes in any of em, don't you have slugs where you are :shock:
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

There's only one with holes made by my dog.
Slugs? No way, too much wildlife here. A hedgehogs family in a big Juniper, many toads and frogs, 10000s of birds.
Kata there's no secret. They just grow. I give them some water in dry periods and my special recipe natural fertilizer in Spring.
kata

Post by kata »

Slugs? No way, too much wildlife here.
Thats what we're asking CL, how. You can't beat nature for clearing up.

In my old home the birds would eat the snails but not slugs, I used to find loads of empty shells...not many birds stop by here...just fly over.
:(
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

You know Kata my climate is much drier than yours so maybe this is also the reason slugs are not popular pests round here.
Since I got a water feature in my garden lots of wildlife come over to 'have a drink' :wink: My dog keeps cats away so birds feel safe. Toad and frogs are everywhere, I must be careful while mowing my lawn not to kill any of those creatures.
kata

Post by kata »

Sounds like heaven CL,

The dryness will be the reason you have no slugs, well, it will help. This got me thinking of what I gave up and what I want back. I left a bungalow with double window aspect.

I could watch the antics of Bluetits on the feeder as it spun :lol: :lol:

The garden was terraced but you could section it off if you wanted. I never took my name off the council list and look each thursday for my old bungalow to come available..

Well done on being slugless.. icon_cheers

:mrgreen:
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

Where exactly are you countrylover? I would imagine being on the continent the springs are warmer, sooner.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Currently in eastern Poland. Springs here come pretty late and if earlier then there must be some really cold intervals.