Pdid`s garden blog (Bin sump in action)

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
dorothy

Re: Pdid`s garden pic`s

Post by dorothy »

flounder wrote:
dorothy wrote:Looking very good.When my kids were small I allocated an area for them with their swings slides etc.I then put trellis around three sides with the front facing the house so I could keep an eye on them. :P
So, you basically put them in a cage at the bottom of the garden then? :D
Yes but unfortunately they kept getting out :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

Thats why every garden should have stocks......notice the garden related humour there icon_thumright
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

When they got bigger and wanted to play football in the garden, they were then banished to the bottom with a tall fence splitting the garden in half so that when they kicked the ball, it wouldn't land in the pond and knock out the koi :ahhh!: . I had a Japanese theme going and goal posts and churned up grass just did not fit in :)
pdid

Re: Pdid`s garden pics (Update 31.5.12)

Post by pdid »

Right updated garden pics, with new curvy lawn. I have also planted out some Echiums, a few Canna seedlings, some ferns, ensetes and an Astillia since the last pics.
gdn5.jpg
gdn1.jpg
gdn2.jpg
gdn3.jpg
gdn4.jpg
pdid

Post by pdid »

And a few pics of new growth:

Schefflera rhododendrifolia
scheffy.jpg
Chamaerops Cerifera
cerifera.jpg
Ensete Maurellii
ensete1.jpg
Small Dicksonia antarctica
DA1.jpg
Paulownia
paulownia.jpg
Echium Pininana
echium.jpg
Ensete 'Montbeliardii'
monty.jpg
Farfugium Gigantium
farfugium.jpg
T-Rex
trex.jpg
Phyllostachys Aurea Holochrysa
holochrysa.jpg
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Looking great Phil, good work!

;)
pdid

Post by pdid »

And a couple more:

Ensete Ventricosum, Maurelii, Semiarunda Kimmei
ensete2.jpg
Big Dicksonia antarctica
DA2.jpg
Cyathea Medullaris, Cooperii, Australis, Fatsia polycarpa, Begonia Luxurians, phoenix robelenii
fern.jpg
Brahea Armata, I`m glad to see this one moving as I was worried about the roots at the end of last year icon_study
Armata.jpg
Musa Mekong Giant, recovering from a Red Spider Mite attack
mekong.jpg
Alocasia Mac on the move again after another Red Spider Mite attack
aMac.jpg
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Looking great mate icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

looking really good! Loving the Cyathea!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Hmm I have a mac of a similar size and I read its better to leave more of the rhizome above ground to prevent rot.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

hey pdid i was looking at my mekong giant and thinking it looks like it has the same 'wings' as basjoo does on the petiole.

yours is a bit ahead of mine ,what do you think?
pdid

Post by pdid »

Thanks for the kind words.
greendragon wrote:Hmm I have a mac of a similar size and I read its better to leave more of the rhizome above ground to prevent rot.
This was it a few months ago so, as you can imagine, I'm just happy to see it growing again.

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 09&t=16402
pdid

Post by pdid »

Mr List wrote:hey pdid i was looking at my mekong giant and thinking it looks like it has the same 'wings' as basjoo does on the petiole.

yours is a bit ahead of mine ,what do you think?
It's hard to tell just yet due to the size difference between the plants, but it does look to be developing similar "wings" yes.

I have noticed the undersides of the leaves and petioles have started to develop a purple blush, it's not obvious in the picture but it is looking good. Dam red spider mite have had it over the last few days grrrr.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

one of mine is pushing out a new roller after being planted out in the garden.

i might run into a few probems planting everything a soon as possible but spider might is never one icon_thumright
pdid

Post by pdid »

Treated myself to a few bits from Crug farm today. There is only poor Internet where I am staying so you'll have to wait for pics!