Bismarckia Nobilis

JakoMonster

Bismarckia Nobilis

Post by JakoMonster »

Well i bought a seedling of ebay and the seller gave me another extra free germinated Bismarckia Nobilis seed with big root, i had a little look online and it's seems to be hardy to - 6 but i wanted to know peoples experiences with this palm if any ones ever had it.
greendragon

Re: Bismarckia Nobilis

Post by greendragon »

I have not had it but it is impossible to grow outisde in anything other than zone 10-11.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

JakoMonster wrote:Well i bought a seedling of ebay and the seller gave me another extra free germinated Bismarckia Nobilis seed with big root, i had a little look online and it's seems to be hardy to - 6 but i wanted to know peoples experiences with this palm if any ones ever had it.
Keep it indoors apart from the summer months (June-September).
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Hardy to -6c is a joke, sorry to say so but I wouldnt let it get below +6c.
They need heat to do anything so its only going to have a chance in a conservatory
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

wasn't sure on the hardiness so i thought it's better to ask on here, thanks for all your replies icon_thumleft

i'll keep it in a pot and put it outside in the garden for spring, summer, autum but bring it inside when it's winter time
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I had a 3ft specimen die after a minimum of just +1C! They may be hardier in drier & hotter climates, but certainly not in the UK...
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

dead before christmas :roll:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

It's such a shame that these are no good for our climate, for me these are one of the most beautiful palms when grown well. Good luck with it Jack icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Adrian wrote:Hardy to -6c is a joke, sorry to say so but I wouldnt let it get below +6c.
They need heat to do anything so its only going to have a chance in a conservatory
I agree with Adrian - They need heat and are not that frost hardy.
-3°c is closer to their limit. But this limit would be in a hotter and drier climate, not the U.K
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

I love these palms, but never again! I just can't grow them even in my conservatory. Someone on here has a beautiful one in their conservatory. (is it Adrian?). I'd love to see the pic again.

I might be tempted when I move and build my mini biome, but until then... icon_thumbdown
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

No not me, tried and failed.
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

Same here. I looked thought the old threads and couldn't find it. Definitely someone on here who had one. Either way, how on EARTH do you keep these butters going? I'd love to have one...

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... lis#p28395
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

My favourite palm. I saw lots of mature specimens at EPCOT in Florida last year. They get frost over there at times, maybe they use heaters in the winter.
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

I think it's more to do with the humidity and the longevity of the frost. In the UK, you stand no chance of overwintering one outside.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Seedlings seem to be fast growing. Hoping for mature leaf in a couple years.