Mr List

Re: Photoshop colour my fences anyone?

Post by Mr List »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Go black.
i thought you favoured bright blue icon_scratch
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Al wrote:when i said "black" you should of seen the look on her face "ohhh, the horror of it"!!.
Deja Vu with that comment, Al. That's when you know you're doing something right. :D

For the most part, I agree with the choice of black. I did it at our last house - black fence, black decking, black pergola, black bridge. If your main object is to highlight your specimen plants then black is as effective as it gets.

The goals for my current garden are very different and I just hate doing the same thing twice. Here it's all about blending the garden seamlessly into the landscape. For example, when I stare into the forest, I don't see black at all, but a very dark green.

If I painted the boundaries black here it would just add a layer of artificialness and whole effect would be lost; so dark green is the best choice for the natural effect. When you consider the shadows produced by the plants on a dark green wall you're looking at almost black anyway.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

As Kyle said, the images are fairly challenging to work with due to light/shade contrasts and angles but here's a second image for you. Hopefully yopu'll have a good idea of how things would look now.

Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

I want shares in Cuprinol :lol: , black will be the bees knees Al, go for it.

I painted my front fence black a few weeks back, we live in a conservative street and everyones garden is rather bland, so I was worried about any blacklash re my black fence. Let me tell you I have had loads of compliments and people asking what I used. Someone has to make the first move, then the neighbours follow like sheep :lol: , I'm expecting to look out my window one day and see black fences all the way up the street.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

If you go down the black route, make sure your colour claims the top of the fence! Lace it on nice and thick too, ensuring that trails drip through the layers of wood on the neighbours side. :shock: :ahhh!: :evil: :twisted:

icon_cheers Wehey!!!
Al

Post by Al »

Kyle wrote:If you go down the black route, make sure your colour claims the top of the fence! Lace it on nice and thick too, ensuring that trails drip through the layers of wood on the neighbours side. :shock: :ahhh!: :evil: :twisted:

icon_cheers Wehey!!!
lol, thats what i'll avoid. even if it takes me 3 times longer to do, then as long as non drips through to annoy them next door i'll be happy. don't want nor have time for other peoples moans and arguments for the sake of not taking my time.

the fences at the bottom of the garden have drips on my side so that shows that they didnt give a poop when they applied it their side, so i'm not too concerned about dripping a line or 40000 on their side. :twisted:

oohh, the horror, THE HORROR WWHAAAAHAHAHAHAHA icon_jokercolor
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

If it all gets too much for the neighbours, they will have to go black too :wink: :lol:
michelea

Post by michelea »

Hi

Seen you garden on old pics vs latest blog...what a transformation, its lovely.

I too are deciding on colour for fencing. Like black and grey...So far black is winning :-)

Good luck with the painting, I know how you will be feeling.

Michele
Jamesyoung

Post by Jamesyoung »

thank you everyone who has either photoshopped my fences for me, left me there opinions (looks like black is the popular choice) or left encoraging comments :D :D

im going to stuggle to convince myself to go with black. I have been looking at very dark browns I think the cuprinal forest oak was one of them

want to start painting sat as it looks like we are going to have a nice hot sunny day....aarggghh decisions decisions :? :? icon_scratch icon_scratch
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Go black.
once you go black you gonna need a wheelchair

Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep, once you go black that ain't no going back.

I love that film Fieldfest, cracks me up every time :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Kyle wrote:
Al wrote:when i said "black" you should of seen the look on her face "ohhh, the horror of it"!!.
Deja Vu with that comment, Al. That's when you know you're doing something right. :D

For the most part, I agree with the choice of black. I did it at our last house - black fence, black decking, black pergola, black bridge. If your main object is to highlight your specimen plants then black is as effective as it gets.

The goals for my current garden are very different and I just hate doing the same thing twice. Here it's all about blending the garden seamlessly into the landscape. For example, when I stare into the forest, I don't see black at all, but a very dark green.

If I painted the boundaries black here it would just add a layer of artificialness and whole effect would be lost; so dark green is the best choice for the natural effect. When you consider the shadows produced by the plants on a dark green wall you're looking at almost black anyway.

Kyle what did you paint your decking black with?

I was half tempted to use cuprinol but know when it peals off next year would be a sand down nightmare.

Can you get a black decking specific stain?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Jamesyoung wrote:thank you everyone who has either photoshopped my fences for me, left me there opinions (looks like black is the popular choice) or left encoraging comments :D :D

im going to stuggle to convince myself to go with black. I have been looking at very dark browns I think the cuprinal forest oak was one of them

want to start painting sat as it looks like we are going to have a nice hot sunny day....aarggghh decisions decisions :? :? icon_scratch icon_scratch

Brown isnt great, my old fences were brown and its a bit common and not very POW POW POW!

You not keen on how the black photoshops have come out? it looks better when posts are done too.

oh and to add my missus was aghast at the idea of a black fence and wanted it left the original colour on new fence. As soon as the first coat of black was on she was in loooooooooooooooooooooove icon_sunny

EDIT* To give you one more idea, heres my old fence in the brown, new fence in the untreated coour, and then black...

cordyman wrote:The bamboo fencing as seen in page 1 of my blog blew down, discoloured and looked a right mess :lol:

Upgraded to heavyweight castleboard, @ 6 foot 6" overall height (exactly 2 meter boundary allowed round here)

spent yesterday painting it BLACK icon_cheers

Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Well if that doesn't convince him nothing will Cordy, thats very smart indeed icon_thumright
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

cordyman wrote:
Kyle wrote:

Kyle what did you paint your decking black with?

I was half tempted to use cuprinol but know when it peals off next year would be a sand down nightmare.

Can you get a black decking specific stain?

Cuprinol do a specific black decking stain, Cordy. icon_thumright

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/paint/wood ... L-11348390

I didn't use this though. It was something that was sold off as end of the line. I bought gallons of the stuff for a couple of quid per 2.5L container. This was knocking on to ten years ago and can I as hell remember the brand? I do remember the colour being 'Tudor Oak'. It could have been a Cuprinol brand I suppose.

Here were the results anyway for ref.

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... l&start=30
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... l&start=45