Summer over ?

stephenprudence

Re: Summer over ?

Post by stephenprudence »

Northeast England, I didn't mean in a political sense of the region; I mean in general from the Cheviots, draw a line down to Leeds and York, and then westwards across the Pennines. I know Leeds isn't Northeast England, but for the sake of writing a long winded politically correct post, it makes sense :wink:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

a lovely 6.6*c outside, with a bone chilling wind and raining still.

sunny, clear and dry forcast @ 7am onwards so a real good deep drenching all day which i'm pretty happy with
jezza

Post by jezza »

Strong winds weren't forecast though, enough to blow over two palms in 30L pots!
billdango

Post by billdango »

Its still quite mild down here in Southampton at the moment?

The temperature got to about +17c today under mainly cloudy skies.

And its still at +14c but its just started to rain.

Wind at moment S.W light but was stronger this afternoon.

rgds billdango. :D :D :D :D
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Bad news I suspect for those wanting sunshine and warmth (pretty much everyone I suspect), the signs are that this simply won't be happening in June, and may well run over into July. Some VERY strong signals for temperatures largely below average, unsettled type weather, and possibly well below average sunshine amounts by months end. Could come in as one of the poorest quality June months in some time. It doesn't look like it'll be very cool month, maybe just a little below average overall (maybe 0.5C to 1C below average), but there will be a significant lack of warm weather; ie we will struggle, most likely, in most parts to record above 20C for the remainder of the month.

Can't say what July and August will bring, but for sure June looks pretty certain as it stands. Of course you don't have to believe a word I'm saying here, but it would be wise not to expect searing heat and sunny weather, else there might be a little disappointment.

I don't know what this means for our plants. I suspect arids are going to have a horrid time, maybe rot might become in issue. For our cool, wet loving plants though, it should be a time of bountiful growth.. ferns especially.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

It looks like after today the worst is over and temps will return closer to normal. Signs are there for big improvement by next weekend but it is hit or miss whether we sit under a low pressure system. At least if that happens it should be warm rain and not cold rain, it could also be quite warm with high pressure but its too changeable to have any confidence that far out.
The one thing I am sure of is that its going to be more normal and less cold.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I'm with you Nigel, some strong signs that things are going to calm down and get warmer. Still plenty of models showing plenty of rainfall, but lets be honest, we need it, it would just be nice to get some average/above average temperatures as well. I am confident that by the third week of this month things will be much better. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Tom2006 wrote:I'm with you Nigel, some strong signs that things are going to calm down and get warmer. Still plenty of models showing plenty of rainfall, but lets be honest, we need it, it would just be nice to get some average/above average temperatures as well. I am confident that by the third week of this month things will be much better. icon_thumleft
That sounds good Tom.

One thing though mate is not everybody needs the rain. My local part of Scotland is as green as I have ever seen it!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Adam D wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:I'm with you Nigel, some strong signs that things are going to calm down and get warmer. Still plenty of models showing plenty of rainfall, but lets be honest, we need it, it would just be nice to get some average/above average temperatures as well. I am confident that by the third week of this month things will be much better. icon_thumleft
That sounds good Tom.

One thing though mate is not everybody needs the rain. My local part of Scotland is as green as I have ever seen it!
:lol: Yes, we are lush and green here, and they have lifted the drought warning after the last bad spell. Down south they still need it so maybe a compromise, everything north of the midlands can have a long hot dry summer and everyone south of that can have a nice moist one!? icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Veolia are driving up and down the road checking for anyone using a hosepipe. Numpties obviously haven't noticed it's been lashing it down :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Glad to hear it may be normal. Perhaps I can plant the garden up then :D

Drought order is not to be lifted in Kent or Sussex, as Thames Water needs our water for the Olympics. :x
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Dave Brown wrote:Glad to hear it may be normal. Perhaps I can plant the garden up then :D

Drought order is not to be lifted in Kent or Sussex, as Thames Water needs our water for the Olympics. :x
Grrr at the Olympics and its knock on effects!
kata

Post by kata »

Sick of it already,

It don't matter what the sport is on they have to withhold our favorite programs.

Its either or all four interrupting programes; Tennis/Cricket/Golf/ and now Olympics .

Roll on August. icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote: Roll on August. icon_cheers
Is this weather really going to last 'til August :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »