Flash Flooding in SE England 11th June 2012 ??

Dim

Flash Flooding in SE England 11th June 2012 ??

Post by Dim »

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/ ... UKForecast

snip:

Little change is expected in the afternoon with further rain over the Midlands, East Anglia and central southern England; this could be heavy enough to lead to localised flooding in some places

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread849660/pg1

snip:

Following on from the heavy rain and flooding in West Wales on Thursday and Friday, latest model output suggests up to 70mm - that's more than a month's worth of rain - falling in parts of SE England overnight and through tomorrow. There is a serious risk of flash flooding.
billdango

Re: Flash Flooding in SE England 11th June 2012 ??

Post by billdango »

Its bucketing down in Southampton at the moment so I hope this isin't a sign of things to come?

At least all my ferns are happy and green.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

My ferns are also loving it here! ....latest forecasts are it could get worse come the end of the week!! :shock: :shock: icon_thumbdown
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

A guy from south yorkshire put pics up (from another gardening site) of the floods last night, water right upto his step and into the house :(
Dim

Post by Dim »

Its been raining here since midnight in Cambridge ... so far, we have had nearly 17mm of rain, and it's still raining ... there is hardly any wind, and it's very overcast
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Worthing hospital flooded.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

I thought England was in drought?? icon_scratch

Spoke to my stepfather in North Wales today and he told me that there was really bad flooding around his way as well...
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Troppoz wrote:I thought England was in drought??
Drough order (or threat of it) covered most of midlands, down towards South West, and all of East and South East. Following record breaking rains that is now reduced to just some parts of the South East.

East Anglia (bulge that sticks out East of London) relies on ground water, and has few rivers & reservoires; this is partly because its a relatively arid part of the country, so in normal dry summers we continue to have water rather than bone dry reservoires. Record breaking dry for 18 months until the recent rains started in April (and March was "average"), including two really dry Winters (I was watering outdoor plants last Winter, never had to do that before!), has meant that ground water levels are dangerously low, and it obviously/sadly takes time for rain to percolate through to ground water, so we still have a problem in East Anglia - although we haven't had to use hosepipes to water anything :) so the required "cut back on water use" has not been hard to achieve in practice, and the water company is no doubt breathing a sigh of relief at not (yet) having to prosecute consumers.

South East (the bit that sticks out like a point South East of London, rather than the Bulge above it) has had far more houses built recently than the water infrastructure can support, so that is a problem for a different reason.

(Hopefully you ain't an ex-pat and aren't familiar with the geography by Town&County name?!!)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Troppoz wrote:Spoke to my stepfather in North Wales today and he told me that there was really bad flooding around his way as well...
Parts of Wales apparently had 2 months rain in 24 hours - not good :( A whole village was evacuated because a reservoir bank/wall was at risk - the crew of the inshore lifeboat had to be rescued by helicopter, which I thought was a bit ironic! and there were horrific news footage of water pouring OUT of people's front doors :( I can't imagine anything more depressing.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Kristen wrote:
(Hopefully you ain't an ex-pat and aren't familiar with the geography by Town&County name?!!)
Thanks Kirsten no Im not an expat Australian born and bred :D so thanks for the geography lesson icon_thumleft

Good to hear the situation isnt as extreme as it seemed a couple of months back but its terrible thing to hear that peoples properties have been flooded. I hope that there havent been any casualties caused by the floods.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Troppoz wrote:I hope that there havent been any casualties caused by the floods.
Thankfully I think not. The inshore lifeboat crew having to be rescued was breaking news and sounded like a major catastrophe at the time, but I think their inflatable developed a fault and it was just a case of getting them back to base (and the news agency thinking they had a once-in-a-lifetime chance to sell copy ... again!), but someone with better info will be along in a bit if I've got any of that wrong :)
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Kristen wrote: The inshore lifeboat crew having to be rescued was breaking news and sounded like a major catastrophe at the time, but I think their inflatable developed a fault and it was just a case of getting them back to base (and the news agency thinking they had a once-in-a-lifetime chance to sell copy ... again!), but someone with better info will be along in a bit if I've got any of that wrong :)
AFAIK, their inflatable's propellor got stuck in a hidden mudbank that was shallower than the rest of the floodwater they were going through
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I think it was the day after they announced a hosepipe ban the heavens opened and haven't closed since! :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
flounder

Post by flounder »

its pissin' down again!
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

If you believe in Sod's Law, we just need Thames Water to announce an end to the hosepipe ban in order for the rain to stop.