Removing unwanted culms.

karl66

Removing unwanted culms.

Post by karl66 »

When unwanted culms appear, is the best way to remove with a largesharp hand spade?, i know if they pop up on grass you can just mow over them. my latest project has been removing the remaining large conifer trees & preping the ground ready for more boo's. This new lot will be planted in the top tier of my garden which is currently covered in mulch, i'm just toying with the idea of making another raised bed or planting them at ground level? any thoughts.
greendragon

Re: Removing unwanted culms.

Post by greendragon »

If you just mow over them they will continue to spread out further get a fargesia karl lol
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

that is not accurate.

all the big websites say the control open groves with mowing.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Mowing top growth does not kill whats under the soil.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

he never asked to kill roots.

i have seen a video where a guy had a timber bamboo in the ground and he just knocked the new shoots off by kicking/standing on them, even though they were like baseball bats.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Yea but eventually there will be new shoots coming up all over the lawn not just around the bamboo.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

To be fair a lot of peoples views on running bamboo are over the top, its only mainly the big leaf japonica's that go mad & even then they can be controlled to an extent by digging a small trench around the grove. Phyllastacis aurea, autaculis sulcata & spectabilis are all very well behaved. the vivax autaculis may be a different story as i have one of these about 2 metres high, only planted last september & its romping away, pushing out very thick culms. karl.
simon

Post by simon »

An alternative to mowing/snapping culms as they appear is to go around the lawn edge with a sharp spade in late autumn, when rhizomes are still soft. This will sever any new growth and prevent culms from emerging.