Feijoa sellowiana - has anyone grown this?

marie06

Feijoa sellowiana - has anyone grown this?

Post by marie06 »

I really like the look of this, another one to go on my wish list - if it's got a chance of surviving winter!

So, has anyone grown this? I've given up relying on written hardiness reports, they all say something different.
Chalk Brow

Re: Feijoa sellowiana - has anyone grown this?

Post by Chalk Brow »

I have two in the garden, they have been there for about ten years and have never suffered, but the lowest temperature in the time has been about -6C. They are now about seven foot tall, they are growing a very dry part of the garden.

Feijoa sellowiana is now known as Acca sellowiana I believe.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Do you get any fruit off them grenville?

Though well worth growing even if you don't. 8)
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

Nigel Fear wrote:Do you get any fruit off them grenville?

Though well worth growing even if you don't. 8)
Not yet, while both plants flower they haven't yet realised they need to flower at the same time. But I keep hoping.
marie06

Post by marie06 »

Thanks Grenville, I'll try to track one down this weekend.
simon

Post by simon »

You can get seeds from Jungle Seeds, Marie.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I bought one in January this year. It's been in a pot outside ever since.

It didn't start putting out new leaves until mid April or so. Now it has flower buds forming. I'm confident I'll get flowers, but not sure about fruit? I hear some cultivars are self-fertile. Only time will tell.

If it doesn't, I may have to get another one or get rid of it.
Trainer John

Post by Trainer John »

I bought an end of season sale one for £1 in 1996, just prior to the bad winter in Jan-Feb 1997. It completely defoliated at around -9C but recovered in the spring. Hasn't had any problems since despite similar temperatures in recent winters and is now about 10ft tall and trained as a small tree. Quite a few flowers, no fruit - probably needs another clone for cross fertilisation. As well as a specimen they also make good hedges, recovering quickly from clipping.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

-9C in Plymouth? I thought it was zone 10a :shock:

It's a shame feijoa is not popular around here, as it's very low-maintenance and fully hardy with a good margin (rated as hardy to -15C, when the London minimum is -7C). People grow all sorts of low-maintenances evergreen trees like laurels etc. that don't do anything special. If they grew feijoas, they would get more diversity, nice flowers, and a few feijoas in the neighbourhood might just solve the pollination issue and give us all fruit.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I was told It was hardy to -12c I can't confirm that though as I have only had -8c here. I have had mine for 4 years and it has taken all the last few years have thrown at it. I would recommend it. icon_thumright
Trainer John

Post by Trainer John »

otorongo wrote:-9C in Plymouth? I thought it was zone 10a :shock:

It's a shame feijoa is not popular around here, as it's very low-maintenance and fully hardy with a good margin (rated as hardy to -15C, when the London minimum is -7C). People grow all sorts of low-maintenances evergreen trees like laurels etc. that don't do anything special. If they grew feijoas, they would get more diversity, nice flowers, and a few feijoas in the neighbourhood might just solve the pollination issue and give us all fruit.

10a? Might be in the city centre but definately not at 260ft up on the north edge of the city. We're closer to Dartmoor than the sea.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

The first flowers on my Feijoa have opened :)

I think I've heard they're supposed to flower in June, this weather must have delayed everything.

I'm wondering if they ever set fruit in the UK or need more heat?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

otorongo wrote:I'm wondering if they ever set fruit in the UK or need more heat?
"This species very rarely sets fruit in this country even in the milder parts, but the reason for this may be that it is self-sterile ... to ensure cross-pollination at least two plants should be grown; these would of course have to be seedlings, or belong to different clones, for the cross-pollination to be effective" – W.J.Bean
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

I tried one of these many years ago but failed after a couple of seasons. Going by what some of you guys have achieved, I think I will give it another try as the flowers are very beautiful.
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I've had one planted out since 2002 and it's survived a one off cold snap of -14°C / 7°F in the winter of 08-09 without issue.

Cheers, Barrie.