Baloskion tetraphyllum - how stunning is this?

Kyle

Baloskion tetraphyllum - how stunning is this?

Post by Kyle »

Just bought a small one of these from the Gardeners' World Live show today and got a picture of the one from the display.

I'm so impressed with it. Got lots of books that have chapters on Restios but I've always skipped over them. Thought they were a bit on the scruffy side TBH.

The guy who was displaying this told me this one was about 7 years old and that they can withstand -12c.
GW2012_11.jpg
Simba

Re: Baloskion tetraphyllum - how stunning is this?

Post by Simba »

Certainly a real feature.... icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nice plant but -12c seems unlikely. Just done a quick Google and 2 sites said -8c but being Australian I'd imagine it's the wet that does them in more than the cold.

My restios seem to keel over below -5c.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I dunno, its alright I s'pose, but every time I see one, I want to reach for the glyphosate icon_scratch
I just can't seem to see one in my garden, but I am a large leave preferer
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I got it from the Trewidden Nursery stand. Just had a quick look on their site. Here it says proven hardiness is -8c. They were only £7 a pop, so no massive loss. Well worth a trial me thinks. Like Gogs says, the rain'll be the biggest killer.

It'll be a pot job for this year and I'll probably divide a bit for safe-keeping and trial the main plant in the ground (winter 2013).

http://www.trewidden-online.co.uk/shop/ ... aid%3D7%26
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Deb decided to try a load of restios from some place near hardy exotics which holds the national collection.they sold her the hardiest of the ones for sale.they all carked it last winter
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
grub

Post by grub »

Will that survive Oop Norf then? I had -13C here this winter and -19C in 'that' winter...
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nowt survives oop ere lad, even Fergie won nowt this year.

:lol:
grub

Post by grub »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Nowt survives oop ere lad, even Fergie won nowt this year.

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

House round the corner from me had a lovely huge one of these in their front garden, but it was killed off in 'that' winter.
It was litterally dug up only a few weeks ago so was given plenty of time to come back lol.

Mature ones are stunning.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Nice looking, looks like a plant fountain. icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi, I acquired one 4 years ago but it hasn't liked our cold winters. It hasn't really thrived but remained quite small. This year due to a milder winter seems to be doing much better. Has survived -8c the winter before last. What are the minimum temperatures you get were you live. icon_thumright
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

From the sounds of things they might be better off kept in a pot; maybe even plunge planted? Can't see much rain getting through to the soil with that growth habit. If they can take -8c, it's not like they'll need overwintering indoors.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

GoggleboxUK wrote: but being Australian I'd imagine it's the wet that does them in more than the cold.
Can't see that water is going to be a problem for it, unless you're on dry soil: Pic from Tasmania :lol:
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Conifers wrote:
GoggleboxUK wrote:Can't see that water is going to be a problem for it, unless you're on dry soil: Pic from Tasmania :lol:
:lol: Okay, grown in a pot and used as a marginal plant then. :?

BTW. Seeds are available from Trewidden Nursery if anyone's interested?

http://www.trewidden-online.co.uk/shop/ ... id%3D52%26