Baloskion tetraphyllum - how stunning is this?

Troppoz

Re: Baloskion tetraphyllum - how stunning is this?

Post by Troppoz »

Baloskion is a stunning plant and well worth the extra effort but really -8c survival makes it far from tender. Ive grown these in the past when I last lived in Tasmania in large terracotta pots where they thrived when given LOTS of water (yep they are good marginals Gogg) growing from full sun to a mostly shaded aspect. I think a freeze to the roots might not help but well mulched in the ground or taken into a protected spot in winter should see it through the worst.

The ultimate effect of a mature pot grown plant is breathtaking, as Trudy said it resembles a soft green fountain. One of the best grassy/sedgy type plants IMV.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Looking at pics of its native habitat, the best place for it in Britain would be a lochside peat bog in western Scotland on very infertile ground and with incessant rain.

I'd guess it's one of these things that doesn't like being pampered, that makes it soft and tender.

Hupor, one for you to try??
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

if you can give them the conditions they need, acidy, and well drained, or just even not soggy in winter you can get them through the winter up norf...

all mine survived this year,,, most survived the previous 2 also... its the drainage they need... restios come form south africa mainly, in the Fynbos (?) and they get plenty of rain at certain times but then nothiing ... so id dig in grit, bark chips and take it down a abit too... but dont create a sump for water to sit in either.. mine look better and perform better in a raised bed..
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

good thread on them in GOTE

http://www.growingontheedge.net./viewto ... 046cd342d5
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

dave2166 wrote: its the drainage they need... restios come form south africa mainly, in the Fynbos (?) and they get plenty of rain at certain times but then nothiing ...
Same family, but a different genus, and different continent; you can't make any assumptions that what's needed for Restio will also be needed for Baloskion :wink:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Conifers wrote: Same family, but a different genus, and different continent; you can't make any assumptions that what's needed for Restio will also be needed for Baloskion :wink:
True Con but they are closely enough related for the Australian species to have been included in Restio as well at one stage and they do have similarities of habitat, so you would expect them to show some relationship with hardiness. Its interesting to hear how the South African species are faring, I would have expected them to be more tender than the Tasmanian species.
rajah99

Post by rajah99 »

Just received one i ordered from cornwallplantaholicsltd on ebay. Only cost 7 quid including delivery, and i received a lovely specimen about 50cm tall.

Looks a lot like bamboo if you ask me :)

gonna go in the new conservatory/greenhouse im building.