My Garden farewell

photonbucket

My Garden farewell

Post by photonbucket »

I will shortly be leaving this garden for pastures new, so I thought I would take some quick snaps, especially because not many plants are coming with me. I haven't really looked after the garden a great deal over the past year. I just simply have not had time. But some areas are looking ok...

I was sick of watering pots in the greenhouse, so got rid of them all and planted raised beds in there. Height wll quickly become an issue! Anyone else done this?

Looking a bit messy, but I have 4-5 different Passionflowers in there, including this one (Not sure what it is):

Sticking to protected plants, my bougainvillea is prolific, but it never seems to have many leaves. Guess that is better than having no flowers. It is in a north facing conservatory that goes down to about zero in winter.

Over to the arid section. A small raised bed because my soil is awful. (Very heavy clay which floods from October to May). Still it's the first time I have managed to get Echiums to flower. icon_thumleft

Can't wait to get stuck into a new garden with decent soil.
kata

Re: My Garden farewell

Post by kata »

Those are nice plants PB,

I love the Passion flower...awesome!

Where are you going?

I hope you spend many happy years in your new home. Don't forget pics of your new garden.

icon_sunny
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

Kata, I have learnt from this garden. I have made lots of mistakes and didn't really plan anything. When I move I am going to rely heavily on the advice found here. First off, the shady courtyard which I am tempted to cover and make frost free. (But more on that later).

I should be moving in 2-4 weeks. No official date yet but 28-29th June is looking likely.

Goodbye clay! icon_salut
kata

Post by kata »

Billdango's yard could give you ideas,

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 8&start=75

:mrgreen:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Great plants Tom icon_thumleft

Is that arid bed inside your polytunnel :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by billdango »

I don't know the name of that purple passion plant but there is one in a garden in St Denys that flowers every year.

Its a bit late this year due to the poor summer we are having down here at the moment but as soon as it flowers I will post some pictures of it.

I also have a deep red passion flower in my garden which should normally flower by september so when it does I will post some pictures of it as well.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

Dave Brown wrote:Great plants Tom icon_thumleft

Is that arid bed inside your polytunnel :ahhh!:
Dave I cheated. I was sick of loosing my Echiums so I put a polytunnel over the bed during the winter. It worked! The reason I had to take the tunnel down in early spring was that the Echiums were hitting the top. icon_thumleft

This bed had a couple of frosts so I threw some bubble wrap over it for a few nights. Evenso, it seems that Aeoniums and Bulbines can take temperatures of at least zero.
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

What is the plant in the bottom right corner of my arid bed? It seems quite fast growing and is getting a bit too big.

Can't remember what it is, whether it's hardy etc etc icon_scratch

And another thing, how long does it take for viable seeds to form on the Echiums? They have almost finished flowering completely. Will I be able to harvest some before I move in about 3 weeks?

If I can, I can send spares to any HTUK members. icon_cheers
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

More pics in case you're interested....

An unusual pot. Behind it is my bath full of bamboo. Baths make amazing big tubs!

Over in the damp shade is one of my fave plants; Sum and Substance.

kata

Post by kata »

Thats very nice of you to think of the members PB,

I hav'nt grown any but if any spare seed can I put my name down please?

I believe Sanatic grows Echiums.

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... anatic1234

I found this on Ebay
Echium_Fastuosum.jpg
Echium_Fastuosum.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Do you know which variety of Aeoniums they are? You could take cuttings with you icon_thumleft

The passiflora is called Amethyst icon_thumright
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:Do you know which variety of Aeoniums they are? You could take cuttings with you icon_thumleft

The passiflora is called Amethyst icon_thumright
The variety is Aeonium Aboreum Zwatkop. Ten a penny really and very cheap (about £1.50 each from my local wholesaler).

Now you say it, it is Amethyst. Thanks!

I will post a couple more pics later.
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Ah I want to propagate lots of Aeoniums for a bedding scheme next year :) so if their cheap that's good, seen them on gardeners world before but not found them in my local GC.

Passiflora's are nice, I have 3 of the amethyst, 1 edulis and a common caerulea which is hardy. Caerulea is still my favourite though as its such a combination of colours.

Interesting fact about amethyst is that it was actually bred in the UK over 100 years ago! Origin and parents unknown though!
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

For me, Dicksonia Squarrosa outperforms Antarctica every year in terms of frond retention and length.

Is this the same for others?

photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:Ah I want to propagate lots of Aeoniums for a bedding scheme next year :) so if their cheap that's good, seen them on gardeners world before but not found them in my local GC.

Passiflora's are nice, I have 3 of the amethyst, 1 edulis and a common caerulea which is hardy. Caerulea is still my favourite though as its such a combination of colours.

Interesting fact about amethyst is that it was actually bred in the UK over 100 years ago! Origin and parents unknown though!
Best place to buy passionflowers; Morrisons for £1.79!

As for Aeoniums, if I go to Goose Green again I will PM you beforehand and can will pick you some up. I will probably go in August once I have moved. icon_thumleft