Anyone else having a gardening lull/more drab weather

cordyman

Anyone else having a gardening lull/more drab weather

Post by cordyman »

first week of summer and another week of rain rain rain, temps looking better but really losing my desire to be in the garden at the moment. There have been some nice days, and nice spells of sun on certain days, but so few and far between. Anyone else having a gardening lull?
Kristen

Re: Anyone else having a gardening lull/more drab weather

Post by Kristen »

Bring a trowel and help me get the rest of my plants in please? :)
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Cordy, i'm feeling the same m8 !, suprising how a bit of sun makes you feel so much better, i have to keep plodding on though as i have trudy coming for her summer holidays!!.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

This year's driving me insane Cordy. :twisted:

The main job for me this year is putting up a boundary wall, It's a huge job and the weather has barely let up. The odd day here and there isn't much good as the ground is so sodden. It's even more difficult as I'm looking after my baby daughter and only getting chunks of daytime to do the fence on weekends or when the misses is on leave. Every time she's been off work it has totally piddled it down.

She's got 2 weeks off from next monday - guess what the forecast says? :roll:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

karl66 wrote:Cordy, i'm feeling the same m8 !, suprising how a bit of sun makes you feel so much better, i have to keep plodding on though as i have trudy coming for her summer holidays!!.

Glad to here it it Karl :lol: :lol: , I thought around 20th July, will you be all done by then? :lol:

Cordy I feel your pain, I'm fed up with this weather, its pants. When the sun comes out, usually fleetingly we all rush outside to feel the warmth on our skin, I reckon we will all have vitamin D deficiency if it stays like this. My garden is not suffering too much, but i think the plants are slower this year :(
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I'm not having a lull myself I just literally can't get out there. The next 5 days at least looks atrocious!!....and I am really down when its this bad....or should I say, I'm on a high when its like yesterday! I think this "summer" could go down as one of the worst in history.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

Two days fine with sun,

Today perfect with drizzle, great for the plants.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've had a great week here, last 4 days have been clear, blue and 20+

Managed to get loads done in the garden including the first feed of the year which was long overdue.

Today is much cooler, currently just 13c :shock: ) and it has just started to rain. This is the first rain I've seen in 6 days though so I mustn't grumble as the garden will bebefit from a good watering.

Hopefully I'll get some clear spells over the weekend and I can push on with the mission to get everything in the ground.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i ran out of time yesterday to plant my two gingers and two cannas from jungleplants so god knows when i will get a chance to plant them now.

i think it is cold and rain as default this summer and the odd surprise sunny spell when it manages to break through.

hopefully if it takes a long time to get here summer will stay for longer to make up.
Mick

Post by Mick »

I'd love to get out there, I think we've had 5 days since march where it hasn't rained.

Longest day too today, It's all downhill from here :(
eddie

Post by eddie »

Not much fun being busy with the garden this year, that's right.

Almost everyday cloudy with temperatures a little lower than the long year avarage. Forecasts are force 9 or 10 winds tonight, my nana's will be hit hard again. My basjoo broke in two with the last storm and is trying to grow back. I hope this new predicted wind is not finishing it off.

Anyway, boring it is weatherwise. The garden looks awfull after the strong winds, loads of rain makes the soil far to wet, no fun removing the weed when the weather is wet & windy. Weeds are really the best growers this year.

:?
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

I don't mind the rain as its much needed. Its not been as warm as it should be, I expect not to wear a coat in the summer but I have been most days. The wind last weekend has been the biggest problem for me, it broke five new shoots from my new Phyllostachys 'Spectabilis and toppled over my easter island statue on to my planted basjoo.
Al

Post by Al »

i used to get real down with bad weather in the summer, but in all honesty over the last 3 or 4 years, i've got used to the fact that summers have changed from bright warm sunny days to wet, cloudy and claggy at best.

i think our climate on the whole has changed, winters colder and drier, autumns warmer along with spring, and summers being wet. it certainly been that way up here anyway. i have noticed that late spring/early summers have gotten windier too. hey ho hum. :?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I see summer as being more like August, September and October these days.

We seem to have shorter autumns but longer springs.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

We didn't get a spring in the SE it was just below average and cloudy with and easterly breeze all the way throug, until they imposed a hosepipe ban in April, then it was cold and wet

The problem has been the low pressures are tracking much further south over the last 5 years. I was ok in the extreme SE corner to start as was on the warm side of lows that tracked across the north. However the lows are now tracking so far south I'm getting the cold easterly sector.

The low today has brought rain overnight, but a very humid 25.2C earlier today. It has cooled off dramatically this afternoon, but I got some useful time fitting the bamboo screening over lunchtime :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright