D.A. double crown

bonkersinbrighton

D.A. double crown

Post by bonkersinbrighton »

My D.A. seems to be developing a double crown? see pic.
Does anyone know why they do this (TBH I prefer the one large crown visualy) could the fact that it is in a pot be a factor? or being fed too much/not enough?
Attachments
double crown?
double crown?
camera 232.JPG (44.13 KiB) Viewed 3012 times
Troppoz

Re: D.A. double crown

Post by Troppoz »

Usually its damage to the growing point, could be from mechanical damage or insect damage but nothing to do with fertiliser or being in a pot. And dont despair at the double trunk, when both trunks get a bit of length to them theyreally can become quite a feature.
bonkersinbrighton

Thanks Troppoz
I am glad it is nothing I have done. Perhaps it was the damage of winter 2010/11? TBH is wasn't its usual self last year with less fronds than in previous spring/summers anyone else had this happen after tough winter?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Really interesting to see that! Give it a few years and it should look amazing! People pay big bucks for tree ferns like that so if you still don't like it selling up would probably give you enough for two normal ones!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
bonkersinbrighton

Really Tom? :D
Just goes to show I have no taste :lol:
to think I have been sulking with it I had better go and show it some love :wink:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

its a personal taste think, but yes, they do sell well as rarely seen. go give it a double hug! :lol: :wink:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

you could always cut one trunk off to root like a tree fern bought from a shop also?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mr List wrote:you could always cut one trunk off to root like a tree fern bought from a shop also?
Definitely don't try this it could kill it/them both.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Tom2006 wrote:Really interesting to see that! Give it a few years and it should look amazing! People pay big bucks for tree ferns like
The Chief Trading Post in Bristol had all manner of weird shape Dicksonia antarctica's with 3 and four heads. I think its where Cathy got her twin as well. Haven't been there for a while so don't know if they're still there
bonkersinbrighton

Sorry Mr L. I cant possibly entertain hacking one of her heads off :ahhh!:
I call her my old lady and she is a member of the family and survived 3 moves to date and I guess I shall have to get used to her duel headed form :roll:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Tom2006 wrote:
Mr List wrote:you could always cut one trunk off to root like a tree fern bought from a shop also?
Definitely don't try this it could kill it/them both.
i meant in 20 years when they both had a foot or so of trunk
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Really interesting to see that! Give it a few years and it should look amazing! People pay big bucks for tree ferns like
The Chief Trading Post in Bristol had all manner of weird shape Dicksonia antarctica's with 3 and four heads. I think its where Cathy got her twin as well. Haven't been there for a while so don't know if they're still there

Yes, we did buy our double crown Dicksonia antarctica at the CTP, quite a few years ago now. It is our only surviving Dicksonia antarctica after the recent cold winters. Being about 4ft tall with a really thick trunk it is much coveted! Some years, if there have been fronds growing every which way, we have removed the odd one that has become entangled. Easy enough. It is odd watering two crowns on one Dicksonia antarctica though!

Cathy x
bonkersinbrighton

This has now grown in to a 3 crowned one :lol:

Now that the crowns have grown a bit more it looks less odd than it did before I will try to get some pics up tomorrow if it stops raining. :roll:

I also treated myself to a similar 5 foot single crowned one for £60 a couple of weeks back which needs some TLC and has a crooked trunk, but at that price I couldn't resist. icon_cheers
She had some more if anyone is down this way and interested ebay hotplantcompany but msg her as she only advertises small amount of her stock.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Unusual to have a three crown tree fern, it will be a great tree fern once it gets the crowns well established.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

bonkersinbrighton wrote:This has now grown in to a 3 crowned one :lol:

Now that the crowns have grown a bit more it looks less odd than it did before I will try to get some pics up tomorrow if it stops raining. :roll:

I also treated myself to a similar 5 foot single crowned one for £60 a couple of weeks back which needs some TLC and has a crooked trunk, but at that price I couldn't resist. icon_cheers
She had some more if anyone is down this way and interested ebay hotplantcompany but msg her as she only advertises small amount of her stock.
Please get some pictures up of your three header, sounds amazing!

As for a five footer at that price, absolute bargin!! icon_thumleft