Are these plastic greenhouses any good?

greendragon

Are these plastic greenhouses any good?

Post by greendragon »

I'm wondering would these stay warm enough for Ensete for example if you insulated the structure with bubble wrap then put it's cover over the top? If not for the whole of winter then at least for spring?

I noticed the german banana guy uses these on his row of bananas, see here;

If you buy two of the 5 tier ones and insert them together you can have a 12ft tall mini greenhouse, this would be ideal for a ensete for example surely? lol and they are as cheap as chips.
:alien:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Are these plastic greenhouses any good?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

They are pretty unstable and dont like the wind so positioning is vital. They are good in spring for bringing plants on like seedlings, dahlias etc. Not used them for overwintering plants but if I did I would want to open them up on above freezing days for ventilation. Winter storms can easily break them or even worse blow them away if they are not closed properly.
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

My friend has had a couple of the small ones and had to replace the cover every year as it degraded and tore so easily. Then she bought one of the bigger ones and the same is happening. They're not very durable and wind kills them. :(
kata

Post by kata »

I keep these in mind, maybe end of the year,

I have a dividing partition between my neighbour and myself in the back garden near the back door. Just perfect as its covered in overhead.

To steady maybe hooks drilled in the wall and attach the GH to those. In winter you could buy those huge fleece bags to preserve the cover.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
kracker

Post by kracker »

I have weighed these down having not much success with the previous ones hoping the wind would not batter them but it just pulled it apart the zip will fallout first .our lass keeps asking if i want one and the answer is "NO i don't "
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

I've often been tempted and after a visit to a kind of junk yard I've found an alternative. Metal shop shelving! Very sturdy and I'm going to think out how to cover before spring. I really only want it for seedlings and cuttings, and of course I don't get UK winter lows. Not a very attractive thing, but I've got a place to hide it further down the garden. Price 10.50 euros.
flounder

Post by flounder »

They're brilliant...indoors! They give extra shelf space for trays and pots that you want to throw over the floor
Just don't sneeze near them
pdid

Post by pdid »

No never again.
ghouse.jpg
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

i don't rate them at all. Bought them twice and after one season the pvc cracks etc, the frames rust etc etc
shanks

Post by shanks »

i've had one which i grow on summer bedding etc, you do need to anchor them but not degraded yet, i got it from wilkos, this year i am going to throw it over my washingtonia for winter as i can open the front for air circulation in warmer spells but zip it up if bad weather forcast, i can anchor it to fence that it's next to, see how it goes
jezza

Post by jezza »

shanks wrote: i can anchor it to fence that it's next to, see how it goes
That's what i did but the rest of the frame broke apart during the strong winds earlier this year. The plastic joints snapped off too easily.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Im gonna restart an ensete in one from march to may. Gonna get the 6ft tall narrow 5 tier ones. Luckily I have a very sheltered patio spot.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

greendragon wrote:Im gonna restart an ensete in one from march to may. Gonna get the 6ft tall narrow 5 tier ones. Luckily I have a very sheltered patio spot.
that will probably kill it if you start in march
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Even if its insulated ? :o
Maybe march will have to be done indoors. I have cannas as well

btw I have seen these in peron and you can insert two seperate ones into eachother and have a 12ft structure.
Mick

Post by Mick »

I've had one on standby in high winds, I had to put it in a corner by the wall with patio chairs against it to stop it being blown away.

It's great to pop the pot plants in if we have a gusty day rather than come back to Ensete half way up the garden.