2012 - The summer that never was?

Dave in Warrington

Re: 2012 - The summer that never was?

Post by Dave in Warrington »

GoggleboxUK wrote:I think 2012 will be known as the year of the Fatsia. If mine carry on at the rate they are growing they'll be a hazard to commercial flights by September.
Looking for a positive note in this thread since the forecast isn't one. Fatsia, Musa Basjoo, and Bamboo are all loving the regular watering. Unfortunately the switch to a NW wind today has took the edge of the temperatures so may hold back the growth !
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

yeah a brisk 14 tonight, makes me realise how damn good the temps have been recently. 19-24*c with loads of rain is actually quite pleasant in a tshirt LOL
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

kata wrote:I have now given up,

Not a sign of a Dahlia, roses took a right beating. Lillies in the back garden forget them, buds not doing what the front Lillies have.........disastrous!!

:(
all my wilko dahlia tubers are rocketing! no flowers yet but plenty of stem icon_thumleft
billdango

Post by billdango »

Lets look on the bright side of all this rain.

While thousands die around the world in terrible pounding heat and drought the Uk will be the most desirable Country on Earth to live in.

Lots of lovely fresh clean water,Cities like London filled with palms and exotics that are all green and shiny.

The biggest fatsias on Earth and the Worlds biggest and slimiest slugs?

The best and tastiest biscuits from anywhere so lets stop moaning and enjoy this summer of Tropical monsoons because at least the Basjoos are loving it?

rgds billdango :D :D :D :D
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Nigel wrote:
Alexander wrote:I hope we will get that weather! But the current chilly weather is farely common for a typical NW European summer! The last couple of years we had often much warmer weather then is normally the case.

Alexander
No Alexander, this never happened before like this.
I am talking for the Netherlands. Well you should have a look in the official metereological history data to get a good answer I guess.

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

And then there was the summer of 1816 wich was much worse then the current one!

It had to do with the erruption of mount Tambora causing an volcanic winter.

It caused the worst famine in the 19e century due to lost crops!

Well never say never...

Alexander
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

America just got the hottest 6 months in recorded history, so much for the crappe about the Sun going into a weak phase.

:lol:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

America is a big place ! surely not every state ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

greendragon wrote:America just got the hottest 6 months in recorded history, so much for the crappe about the Sun going into a weak phase.

:lol:
but the sun is in a weaker phase, thats the worry, as it will come out of the weak phase soon.....well I'm not worrying if it means we are going to get warmer!! icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
harryc

Post by harryc »

I noticed on netweather that there is a chance of the azores high nudging up later in July, I bloody hope so, so depressing especially as my brother who has just emigrated to melbourne is constantly in touch telling me how in their winter they are having the same day time temps as us.....................................................

Harry
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I know what you mean! I have relatives near Brisbane and it struggles to get below 20C at any point in the year.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

This is nothing compared to 1816

;)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

harryc wrote:I noticed on netweather that there is a chance of the azores high nudging up later in July, I bloody hope so, so depressing especially as my brother who has just emigrated to melbourne is constantly in touch telling me how in their winter they are having the same day time temps as us.....................................................

Harry
The models support that but its been like that for 2 months , good weather a week or more out but it never materialises, this time it is tantalisingly closer in the models so maybe it will happen.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

America gets from arctic in Alaska till almost tropoical in Key West. And most of the states are at the same latitude as Rome or farther south, New York is allready farther south. So much stronger sunshine means hotter summers in general. And its mostely a continental climate.

Alexander
eddie

Post by eddie »

We have global cooling

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/10 ... te_change/

nature.com:
http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/ ... e1589.html

I totally agree. Yesterday I was 100 miles inland, only 12.5C at 4pm. Same as in january.

icon_sunny
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas