Wolgan Snow Gum

Rod

Wolgan Snow Gum

Post by Rod »

Hi there - Here is a good Small growing 4-6m tall, and very hardy: Supposedly down to -15°c Eucalypt for the UK.
I bought 4x seedlings today.
Tom2006

Re: Wolgan Snow Gum

Post by Tom2006 »

sound good, any pictures of adult trees?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Eucalyptus gregsoniana, previously known as E. pauciflora ssp. nana, comes from the alpine regions of NSW and Canberra and would have the same hardiness as the usual form of the snow gum. It also shares the same multitrunked mallee habit of pauciflora as well as the attractive bark.

Found this pic on google;
Attachments
Euc.gregsoniana.jpg
Euc.gregsoniana.jpg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Sorry if you think that the max size is 6m. There is no such thing as a small eucalyptus tree it will get to 60 FEET which is about 20 meters. I have seen Pauciflora Snow gums growing in London which are 60 feet+, yet they are sold as being maximum 25ft.
icon_scratch

The only place where that will stop at 6metres is up a mountainside with really poor soil conditions(the natural habitat of all snow gums). When the snow gums are brought into good conditions they grow huge like all other eucalyptus. Troppoz the one in the picture you posted will probably triple in size before it's done growing.

Here is a picture I found from the thornhayes nursery website, maybe it is smaller than pauciflora but I wouldn't be suprised if this one keeps on growing.

Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

A nice tree, but would be inclined to agree about the space needed to grow such a plant.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

greendragon wrote:Sorry if you think that the max size is 6m. There is no such thing as a small eucalyptus tree it will get to 60 FEET which is about 20 meters. I have seen Pauciflora Snow gums growing in London which are 60 feet+, yet they are sold as being maximum 25ft.
icon_scratch

The only place where that will stop at 6metres is up a mountainside with really poor soil conditions(the natural habitat of all snow gums). When the snow gums are brought into good conditions they grow huge like all other eucalyptus. Troppoz the one in the picture you posted will probably triple in size before it's done growing.

Here is a picture I found from the thornhayes nursery website, maybe it is smaller than pauciflora but I wouldn't be suprised if this one keeps on growing.

Nope there are many small Eucalyptus trees, some are small shrubs and one can even be considered a ground cover. Id say that the ones that have grown to such huge sizes are more likely to be large species that are mislabelled or just misidentified. Not all areas that snow gums grow in have poor soil either.

I think the previous naming of 'nana' kind of gives away its habit as a small tree...
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Troppoz wrote:I think the previous naming of 'nana' kind of gives away its habit as a small tree...
Unless it's a "Ba" nana? :lol:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Bah! Humbug... :lol:
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Here's a few gum trees growing on my property on Vancouver Island.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
E. nitens
E. nitens
E. urnigera
E. urnigera
E. archeri
E. archeri
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Troppoz wrote:
Nope there are many small Eucalyptus trees..
Ok tell me the ones that will stay under 30 feet tall at maturity and are hardy in zone 8?

:mrgreen:

"There is no such thing as a small cold hardy eucalyptus tree". That is probably the more accurate term. Unless you are willing to butcher one.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

I already have.

There are many small hardy species that will never reach the sort of heights that you keep asserting, this species being one of them.