Anyone growing an indian bean tree?

Delboy

Anyone growing an indian bean tree?

Post by Delboy »

I saw some lovely 6-7' specimens at my local GC which @ £25 were very tempting.

a few Q's tho.

Are these fully hardy? keeping in mind im in the midlands.

I know they can grow huge but i read it can be pollard (not that i have a clue how to do that lol)
So would it be easy enough to keep at a height of say 7-8'

Could it be pot grown?

The one i saw had bright green leaves (i believe there is also a purple one) it was stunning with quite large leaves which really stand out.

I was going to ask the GC staff, but thought i'd get better answers on here.

Oh and finally, for anyone that has this tree do you have any pics?
grub

Re: Anyone growing an indian bean tree?

Post by grub »

I've Catalpa Del, hardy here icon_thumright . I've got the 'Aurea', it doesn't much like where it is much though and will be moved to somewhere shadier. -19C saw a bit of dieback but that's it as far as damage went.
lee1125

Post by lee1125 »

I had one of these bought for me about 5 years ago and didnt have anywhere to plant it so has been in a pot since then, doesnt seem to have done it any harm apart from not growing as much as it would have in the ground i guess.

Mine has been in various positions throughout my garden but i dont think has really enjoyed any as its never really looked that good :lol: Guess that could also be down to me ignoring it as i never actually wanted one but couldnt bring myself to get rid of it. :lol:

Its never been protected in the 5 years so defo hardy in my opinion. I also heard can be pollarded but i have never tried it andalso not sure how to do it.

This is the only pic i can find on my pc - not the best im afraid :roll:
Attachments
....jpg
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Theres a big one in a park near me, comes into leaf even later than Oak trees and is one of the first to drop it's leaves in Autumn.

Here is a crappy picture I took ages ago looking up at the crown it's about 40 feet tall with a 30 feet spread at the moment, at first glance I thought it was Tomentosa. :oops:

pdid

Post by pdid »

I have one, completely hardy here. This is the 1st year I've pollarded and all is ok. I'll post a pic tomorrow icon_thumleft
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Thanks chaps. I can see another purchase taking place lol.
Told the wife that was it for big plants but I think my border NEEDS this tree as it lacks height.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Tomentosa may be a better option for pollarding. It's more vigorous and exotic looking.
pdid

Post by pdid »

As promised.
PicsArt_catalpa.jpg
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

The Council planted some here about 15 years ago, they had huge long lead shoots nearly a metre long, I'd guess imported from somewhere hot.

Since then, they've grown a total of about another 15 centimetres in the 15 years.

They really need hot summers!
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Well the one I have my eye on is 6-7 ft, which is around the height I want.
If it grew that slowly I'd be a happy chappy lol.

Thanks for the pic btw. Love the leaves.
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

they do a purple one of these now too.. my fav is the 'aurea' the lime green colour..
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

This is a 'aurea' i planted in my old garden which i Pollard every year. Very hardy up here.
Attachments
IMAG0003.jpg
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Conifers wrote:The Council planted some here about 15 years ago, they had huge long lead shoots nearly a metre long, I'd guess imported from somewhere hot.

Since then, they've grown a total of about another 15 centimetres in the 15 years.

They really need hot summers!
icon_scratch I have grown one from seed 2 years ago and now its 60 cm tall! They do need warm weather and are late to come into leaf but they can grow up here. They are deciduous and can look bare for 7 months of the year.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Darlo Mark wrote: icon_scratch I have grown one from seed 2 years ago and now its 60 cm tall! They do need warm weather and are late to come into leaf but they can grow up here. They are deciduous and can look bare for 7 months of the year.
You're further inland, so warmer. Up here, they're bare for 8 months.
call

Post by call »

i have a small one a little smaller than pdids it would have been bigger if my little brother hadnt snapped half of it of :(
its in a planter with coleus and a cuphea