Long / Wide Frond Plam for UK suggestions

Kristen

Long / Wide Frond Plam for UK suggestions

Post by Kristen »

Are there any palms suitable for the UK that grow with long fronds, like the one below. I don't mine it being in a pot and lugging it into the unheated conservatory for the Winter, provided that growing in a pot will allow it to make long fronds :)
Long Frond Palm
Long Frond Palm
Long Frond Palm
Long Frond Palm
Long Frond Palm
Long Frond Palm
Kristen

Re: Long / Wide Frond Plam for UK suggestions

Post by Kristen »

Also thinking about a "wide" frond palm too:
Wide Frond Palm
Wide Frond Palm
Wide Frond Palm
Wide Frond Palm
Wide Frond Palm
Wide Frond Palm
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

If you want something that looks like a Coconut then you could go for a Parajubaea, which you could plant in a tub & drag inside for the winter... If you just wanted a long leaved feather palm then there are lots to chose from which would do well outside in the summer/conservatory in winter...

A good wide leaved fan palm would be a Livistona chinensis icon_thumright
billdango

Post by billdango »

I would think a Ravenea Rivularis palm would look good and do well in a large pot as it can take cool weather.

A wide leaf Sabel species would be a good 2nd choice as well for your other pot as they are also fairly cold hardy?

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Syagrus but it would need to stay over 5*c.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Syagrus but it would need to stay over 5*c.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

If you are still young!!!!!!!!!!! There is only one feather palm for UK climate, Jubaea! Plant it and forget it for the next twenty years. :lol: icon_thumright
billdango

Post by billdango »

jungle jas wrote:If you are still young!!!!!!!!!!! There is only one feather palm for UK climate, Jubaea! Plant it and forget it for the next twenty years. :lol: icon_thumright
I've already got one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

billdango wrote:
jungle jas wrote:If you are still young!!!!!!!!!!! There is only one feather palm for UK climate, Jubaea! Plant it and forget it for the next twenty years. :lol: icon_thumright
I've already got one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't think you can plant one in Suffolk and forget it for twenty years with complete confidence that it will still be alive in the spring! :?
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

I agree with billdango - Ravenea rivularis. I overwintered one in the canteen at work. It got ~19C every day and almost exclusively fluorescent lighting with very little natural light and it's grown really well. You will have to be careful introducing back into the natural daylight as their leaves are sensitive, but they prefer part shade anyway.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Hi Kristen
Long leaved feather palm for a pot, try Ravenea glauca

khaskings

Post by khaskings »

The plant I referred to earlier. It's in a 40 litre pot. 4 full leaves put out since November 2011 with 2 spikes coming through.
Attachments
Ravenea rivularis
Ravenea rivularis