Bismarkia Nobilis Seeds

Troppoz

Re: Bismarkia Nobilis Seeds

Post by Troppoz »

What a shame Ness but that one sure looks healthy!

You mentioned that the roots were mush on the ones that died in the cold, it sounds like it could have had something to do with cold wet soil rather than the cold as such. Can I suggest that if you have to leave them unheated again let the soil dry out before you go and see if that gives a better result.

Cold and wet is lethal to a lot of tropical palms that would otherwise survive cold and dry icon_thumright
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

I think you're absolutely right Sean. Outside temperatures were unusually high at the time (around 22C) and it was reaching 33C in the hothouse. I watered them all before we went away because the forecast was good.

Then temperatures plummeted at night and the hothouse went down to 2C. They would have been sat in cold wet soil for a couple of nights. I think in future, before going away, I'd water them less and move them back in the house so they get more even temperatures, day and night. Lesson learned (I think :lol: )

Ness
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

I think I lost a number of Bismarkia seedlings through similar circumstances which got me thinking how to be more precise about the watering, the water retention around the root tip and how to keep it at the right level.

I came up with a theory (yet to be tested) that if the compost mix of your choice for the germinated seedling is judged to have the correct amount of moisture in it without watering, if you weigh it and note it's optimum weight, then water should only be added to bring it back to that weight or within a predefined % margin.

I know weighing a load of potted seedlings would be pain in the 4rse but if you have a manageable amount it might be worth the experiment.

Keeping them warm is a separate issue altogether!

If I get around to trying this I'll post the results of how tricky and impractical it is or isn't.

Mike.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

So sorry Sean, it's been a while since I updated you. Here's the bismarckia today, it's grown a lot since the last time I posted. I love it! :D
100_2017.JPG
It's been between 30-35 C in the greenhouse recently so it's been getting quite a lot of water. I'll have to start reducing the amount in the next few weeks as it starts to get cooler. What's your lowest night time temperature? When it goes below that in our greenhouse, I think I should move it to a windowsill in the house. What do you think?

Ness
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Mike, did you get chance to experiment? Would love to know how you're getting on if you have. Although, I won't be doing that, I haven't got time lol! :D
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

Yours are growing really well Ness. Mines still on its first leaf.
Attachments
IMGP3431_LR.jpg
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

No experimenting this summer - we moved up your way at the end of June!! Gardening is pretty much treading water this year and hopefully will take off next year. I have scales so I'm halfway there icon_thumleft
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Ness thats a corker!! Youve had really good growth rates on all your seedlings so I think the bit of extra warmth in your greenhouse is to their liking.

Lowest nighttime temps in Darwin are around 14c but Ive seen these guys growing well in frosty Alice Springs so they can take much less than that but they do love their heat.

Yours looks great too Ash, that leaf is flawless icon_thumright
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

ash101uk wrote:Yours are growing really well Ness. Mines still on its first leaf.
Looking good Ash! Nice colour too! :D
Troppoz wrote:Lowest nighttime temps in Darwin are around 14c but Ive seen these guys growing well in frosty Alice Springs so they can take much less than that but they do love their heat.
That's really useful info Sean. I assume they'll have to be much drier in winter to stop the roots rotting. I'll do my best to keep this one alive. It's Harry's favourite out of all of them. :D
khaskings wrote:No experimenting this summer - we moved up your way at the end of June!! Gardening is pretty much treading water this year and hopefully will take off next year. I have scales so I'm halfway there icon_thumleft
Aw WoW! The Binbrook area is lovely...in the Wolds. Methinks you'll be too busy for weighing stuff! :lol:

Ness
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Ive been looking at these palms for a year or so now..love them but the size sets me back a bit. I'm not sure what I would do with it during the winter months.. how does everyone plan to overwinter these once there large and full?
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Ours will be over-wintered in the greenhouse. Not sure what we'll do if or when it gets too big but that's a few years away yet and we'll just enjoy it while we have it :D

Ness
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

picked up a few seeds they should be here in the next couple of days. anyone got any current pics and how long you have been growing. In Florida they can get about 12 inchs of trunk a year. Id be happy with 6. icon_thumleft