Caladiums - My new obsession if I can get them to grow.

miketropic

Re: Caladiums - My new obsession if I can get them to grow.

Post by miketropic »

I am happy these are in the UK. I guess I take alot of the plants we have here for granted..those bi color and white christmas are at every big retail store in the US for about 3 dollars...if you catch them at the end of the season like now there only a buck.. I grow the white christmas myself and have had leafs as large as 14 inchs long but I have not seen anything any larger than that grow out doors around here.. nice stuff everyone
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This year for me,has not been too good. They looked really good in spring indoors, but outdoors in summer they have struggled somewhat. The temps have not been below average, but the general lack of sun and heavy rain has reduced the temps in my microclimates. They don't have many leaves, and those they do have are smaller than last year. :roll: I'll store them overwinter when they die back,and hope for a better year next year.

They seemed to do better in very well drained compost in vending cups than once potted up properly. Maybe, once again, as with Coli and Alo's, the soil temp is key and a small cup heats up better.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mine looked fantastic in May then went down hill when I planted them out in mid June. The temps have been too cool along with the heavy rain at times. I will try again next year but my not be suited to life outdoors up here.

Greville, you've done the right thing by keeping them indoors. :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dave Brown wrote:Maybe, once again, as with Coli and Alo's, the soil temp is key and a small cup heats up better.
I'll bring mine into conservatory today and put them alongside the hot-watering Colo tray - they haven't been great, so I've nothing to lose. I'll let you know if that kills them!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Kristen wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Maybe, once again, as with Coli and Alo's, the soil temp is key and a small cup heats up better.
I'll bring mine into conservatory today and put them alongside the hot-watering Colo tray - they haven't been great, so I've nothing to lose. I'll let you know if that kills them!
They don't like being wet Kristen, so I wouldn't water every day, like I do with Collies. I think this was part of the problem in July, it rained every day and they weren't growing/using the water. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Interesting that I kept four plants in a drip-tray in a shaded spot for over a month while away and they all bar one faded away considerably.

Two of the red types were given different conditions. One stayed inside as a houseplant and still looks good. The other kept in its original small pot was plunged, pot and all, into the garden bed where it got full sun in the afternoon and only watered through any rainfall. This, too, kept its looks.

Confirming the thoughts of recent posts, these do better not kept too wet in small pots.

The faded ones have been placed in the greenhouse where the warmth seems to be rejuvenating them.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Update. Those that died down and tried to reshoot all stalled at a half open leaf stage, so I think its time to dry off and store for these.

One Frieda Hempel wanted to finish naturally as oldest leaves were going over quickly so last week I dried this off by removing it from its pot and leaving it on a greenhouse shelf in the shade. It seems plump and firm. Dry compost for this one?

Two others are still in full leaf alternating time between the house and greenhouse. No new leaves for some time now so should I start drying these off?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I was going to leave mine out to die since I gave most of them away this year but my wife went behind and dug them up so there drying in the shed now..
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Be careful of drying. Troppoz said that if completely dried out they don't come back. Drying in compost is not the same as drying in air :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Dave Brown wrote:Be careful of drying. Troppoz said that if completely dried out they don't come back. Drying in compost is not the same as drying in air :wink:
I was mindful of that, Dave. I stood the C. Freda Hempel tuber on top of the pot of compost it had grown in which was still moist. The three that made a lame attempt at restarting are pretty dry in the pot now and all four are booked for bed and breakfast tomorrow in a mix of MPC, perlite and vermiculite.

The remaining two will finish their display in the living room tomorrow and will dry off in the greenhouse.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I think I need to locate mine and dig them up..... :roll:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Dave how did your caladiums go in the good hot summer you had over there this year?

Mine are starting to wake up with the onset of the rains but half the garden is a construction site at the moment so they are struggling to appear between piles of steel beams and work boots :roll:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Troppoz wrote:Dave how did your caladiums go in the good hot summer you had over there this year?

Mine are starting to wake up with the onset of the rains but half the garden is a construction site at the moment so they are struggling to appear between piles of steel beams and work boots :roll:
I lost them Sean :oops: :oops: :oops: I was letting them die back in the Lunar Module last autumn, and when they had, forgot they were out there :oops: a winter with mins around 2C wasn't what I had in mind, and none came back this year :( A lot been going on this year with work situation so they didn't get replaced this season. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

No posts on these this summer so it looks like we all lost them. Kris? Kristen? Mine succumbed in the greenhouse carnage last "Spring-Winter".
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

GREVILLE wrote:No posts on these this summer so it looks like we all lost them. Kris? Kristen? Mine succumbed in the greenhouse carnage last "Spring-Winter".
I didn't manage to over winter mine. I have not done well with Colocasia or Alocasia either, and reckon that I don't have enough time to dedicate to making sure that temperature and moisture are right etc. and have, sadly, retreated to trying things that suit my ability better. Also I didn't manage to grow the leaves to any great size, and I would prefer something with larger leaves.

They aren't too dear from Anglia Bulbs, so probably affordable to have 2 or 3 each year for those that want them :)

When I retire and have plenty of time perhaps ... or Mr B starts tuition classes to help the likes of me do a better job with Aroids? 8)