walk in pvc greenhouses

Delboy

walk in pvc greenhouses

Post by Delboy »

Does anyone use these in the winter months? im wondering if the pvc would be up to the job.

Im considering buying a 6' x 4' pvc greenhouse to put over a part of the garden, just one of those cheap jobbies that are about £40.00
I have a 3' Dicksonia antarctica, plus a washie and small Trachycarpus in this area and one of these would fit nicely over the top of all 3.

The Dicksonia antarctica would still be wrapped underneath, the washie would at least be kept dry.

The site for it would be protected on 2 sides by a 6' fence. I know it will offer zero warmth, but last year my washie was in a pot and survived kept dry in my greenhouse, this year it was planted in the ground so that is no longer an option.

On a night im thinking of putting a king sized duvet and tarpaulin over the top of it, something quick n easy.
flounder

Re: walk in pvc greenhouses

Post by flounder »

It'll help keep a cold, desiccating wind off as well so I reckon it could work
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I was thinking of doing the same thing to keep water off some of my Palms, but after doing some research i decided against it. Pretty well every review i read about these things on line said that they were complete rubbish and a total waste of money. They tear,snap and blow apart under even the slightest wind.
Instead i`m going to build my own using 2x1 rough sawn battens driven into the ground and covered in high grade polythene. Probably wouldn`t cost a lot more to do it this way either. I built a similar cover for my Washie last year and it worked fine.
Best place for good quality clear Polythene i found was here - http://www.polyfast.co.uk/clear-250-micron.html
Last edited by Andy P on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

They wont keep out any cold and they suffer from condensation.
I have used one over winter but got shot of it after, IMO... useless for overwintering anything tender, half tender or anything that needs keeping dry.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

same principle as a cloche but bigger, some help but not much.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

They are a false economy get some pieces of wood and a sheet of plastic instead.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

If you get an electric fan heater in there they are great!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

They clearly state on the packaging, DO NOT USE HEATERS.
Would be ok with rope lights or heat cables.

As with everything, give one a go, make your own minds up.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i thought about a heater in mine.electric no good because of condensation dripping and paraffin got ruled out by nuisance moggies using my tunnel for shelter.i havent bothered closing mine for well over 2 years now,helps keep a little drier.basically serves as a snow,rain and wind protector but is good in spring for bumping stuff back to life as it gets warmer than outside
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure