a question from the bamboo newbie

miketropic

a question from the bamboo newbie

Post by miketropic »

was looking through lots of pics of differant bamboos and found a few I really liked..not sure how rare they are, abilty to get them price anything. I'm pretty sure they were all hardy in my zone though. If anyone has an info on these spcies, place to buy them, prices, rarity let me know

white dragon bamboo
Huangwenzhu Inversa
Sasa veitchii
Phyllostachys vivax 'Aureocaulis'
Golden vivax

thanks alot. just getting into the bamboo ( gunna make an asian garden ) so any help is appriciated I know there are some really good bamboo people on this board.
Vagetarian

Re: a question from the bamboo newbie

Post by Vagetarian »

I think that Golden Vivax is the common name for Phyllostachys vivax 'Aureocaulis'. It grows in the garden of my favourite local plant nursery (Urban Jungle) and it's definitely a beauty. I would have had it if it wasn't so big, so I went for a similar but smaller Phyllostachys. I'm pretty sure they're both relatively common.

I would advise you to research Sasa veitchii thoroughly if you haven't already. I have some Sasa palmata plants and I am very aware of how brutally fast they will spread. Members on here have been trying to remove it for years. I will be growing it in containers/planters on a patio, they would spread through the drainage holes if left on open ground. I have read stories of Sasa's coming up in the road, lifting up patios, etc, many horror stories.
jacko

Post by jacko »

some info on white dragon bamboo here http://www.bamboogarden.com/Fargesia%20 ... on%27.html. huangvenzhu inversa is a vivax clone which i would like also.its yellow with a green stripe.sasa veitchii i would stay away from as its highly invasive.phyllostachys vivax aureocaulis is what vagetarian says.all are hardy enough for your location (these species would be ok down to -18 to -20C) just remember any vivax gets very big and needs room to grow.
jacko

Post by jacko »

icon_scratch i typed room but it came up boom.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

thanks guys I guess I will stay away from the invasive monster I don't need that headache. any good sources to purchase any of these bamboo?
jacko

Post by jacko »

not sure in USA but you could do a search online for local nurseries in your area.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

The USA has loads of excellent bamboo nurseries - way ahead of us here in the UK .... :(

If you fancy a large leafed Sasa ... go for tsuboiana - much better behaved .... :D

Laz
Kiwirichard

Post by Kiwirichard »

And even more way ahead of here,ya cant even buy a single bamboo anywhere icon_thumbdown
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I found some good sources here in the US for the bamboo I wanted but I didn't know it cost so much! There are 3 gallon pot sizes that at over 100 USD and there isnt but a few canes in each one!