Trachycarpus takil kalamuni

kata

Trachycarpus takil kalamuni

Post by kata »

Anyone owned one?

Supposed to be -9. From India. I just bought one.
We consider them to be the best and most hardy of all Trachycarpus! Stiffer leaves than fotunei with silver undersides - really wonderful to behold.
icon_cheers icon_cheers
Trachycarpustakilkalamuni.gif
Conifers

Re: Trachycarpus takil kalamuni

Post by Conifers »

No silver undersides in their pic!

Description might be right, but are the plants they're selling true to the description??

Caveat emptor.
kata

Post by kata »

How do we ever know that conifers...we take them on trust.

Also they may not 'silver' till later.

icon_cheers

Found this Image, same seedling.
trachitk.JPG
You can see some silver even on a seedling.
joolz68

Post by joolz68 »

Morning kata,as you know i know nothing about trachys but while i was searching to find info on mine i did spot info on takil which is on Junglemusic.net (new plant arrivals section & scroll waaay down ) with photos and how to tell differances on some trachys as they grow :)
kata

Post by kata »

Thankyou Joolz,

I know very little too Joolz except Trachicarpus are my favorite. I would love every type of Trachicarpus and nothing else.. :lol: :lol: that would be boring though without color.

I actually bought the seedling Trachycarpus takil kalamuni in the second Image.

Here is something from Wikipedia for you on Trachicarpus f

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachycarpus_fortunei

Thanks!!
icon_cheers
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

kata wrote:Found this Image, same seedling.

You can see some silver even on a seedling.
That's just sunlight reflecting off part of the leaf, it's green higher up the same leaf :wink:
kite567

Post by kite567 »

Trachycarpus takil is very closely related to T. oreophilus and T. ukhrulensis (manipur).

It's only very recently that seeds or seedlings of the genuine thing have become available. Suppliers of supposed kalamuni takils were selling what in fact were Trachycarpus fortunei Nainitals before that time.

The only takils I have are seedlings although at least one member of the EPS is claiming to have divided leaf plants. I also have a manipur with approx 8 inches of trunk planted out ready to face its first winter there. I can say thst this has a beautiful white underside to its older leaves, so it's not unlikely that takils could be similar.

I have a larger oreophilus which does not exhibit much of a paler underside to its leaves. I've held back from planting it out this year scared of losing it if the winter turns nasty again. Once any of my takils are of sufficient size, I'll very likely find it a suitable spot in my garden.

To find out any more about the hardiness etc of takils, there are numerous threads, many difficult to plough through, over on the EPS.
kata

Post by kata »

To find out any more about the hardiness etc of takils, there are numerous threads, many difficult to plough through, over on the EPS.
Thanks Kite, I am a member over there. Thanks for the post too.
That's just sunlight reflecting off part of the leaf, it's green higher up the same leaf
:lol: :lol: Give it time to mature Conifers, I will hold my hand up if in two years there is no sign of silver underside.
jezza

Post by jezza »

You on a Trachycarpus buying spree kata?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Kata, i bought one of these last year, its now gone to heaven, although it wasnt to healthy when i purchased it. karl.
joolz68

Post by joolz68 »

Whats EPS? icon_scratch :)
kata

Post by kata »

You on a Trachycarpus buying spree kata?
Only now and again, last one this year Jez. :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear about your T takil kalamuni Karl. :(

http://www.palmsociety.org.uk/

Be warned Joolz, its a very strict forum, not much by the way of banter like here.

icon_cheers
joolz68

Post by joolz68 »

I see i didnt realise it would be a forum kata,im quite comfy here for a few yrs yet :lol: Itl take til im 50 to catch up here :D
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :mrgreen: icon_cheers
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

About Trachycarpus takil seedlings and plants of a couple of years old, they still do not have that silver/wax underside of the leaves. Well I have seen plenty in the wild in the Kalamuni area. I have been there twice. And I have 65 seeedlings here from seeds collected last November. None have that solver underside now. It cames later. A bit similair as with Trachycarpus fortunei.

For young plants you could look at: www.gardenpalms.com

Herbert has the real ones, he has been to the same area in India where I have been. And his T. takil seeds are from that area. The first Trachycarpus takil seeds from Kalamuni where collected in the autumn of 2007. From before that time plants sold as T. takil where something else, usely T. Nainital.
And the plant at the picture looks to me a real T. takil. Herbert had placed some picture of young T. takil at his nursery on the EPS forum.

On the growingontheedge forum there are good habitat pictures of Trachycarpus takil from 2010. Have a look at: Trachycarpus takil in the wild from May 16, 2010.

My first visit then to that area was 2 weeks earlier.

Alexander