Archontophoenix cunninghamiana {bangalow palm}

Rod

Re: Archontophoenix cunninghamiana {bangalow palm}

Post by Rod »

targui wrote:Troppoz, I recall seeing them on the west coast of the south island and around Nelson at latitudes 41 and 42
degrees south, similar to Hobart. I did not see any fully mature examples. A lot of the west coast gets
very little frost due to constant air movement off the Tasman sea, and being a narrow coastal strip. I doubt Bangalows would survive in Christchurch due to heavy frost.
They do grow in Christchurch in the same areas where they grow Rhopalostylis sapida / Meryta sinclarii & Agave attenuata.
These plants are grown in the hillside suburbs & close to the sea.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

In for Winter and out for Summer with mine - just bought it in now - and I find it carries on growing really slowly in the Conservatory all through Winter. I've had it a few years but it's not that big yet that it won't fit into the conservatory. I'll have to find it another home if it lives that long. I put mind in mostly shade but it does get a bit of late afternoon sun.

Here's a couple I took recently showing the fruit,
Picture 2698 [640x480].jpg
Picture 2699 [640x480].jpg

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Di whereabouts were they growing?

Also (and slightly off topic) how did you get on with the Ravenala seeds?
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Seen these in Madeira Sean - there were quite a few of them and if I remember rightly understory was Agapanthus and Begonias. Would have been lovely to see the Aggies in flower.

The Ravenala are doing well (thank you Sean icon_thumleft ) lost the first lot for one reason or another, this second batch are doing well so far icon_cheers

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Very nice those fruits!

Alexander