I guess I should have seen this comming :)

miketropic

I guess I should have seen this comming :)

Post by miketropic »

well the bug has bitten me and I have been looking at alot of cacti and succulents. I know our climates differ alot but could I get a list of very cold hardy cacti, succulents, agave, rock plants the whole thing. my winter lows are usually -17 at the very bottom and are usuall around 0C or better most of the winter. any cacti or succulents I could leave planted out in those conditions?
kata

Re: I guess I should have seen this comming :)

Post by kata »

I have none but Redsquirrel may know more,

Good luck Mike!

:mrgreen:
flounder

Post by flounder »

Opuntia come to mind
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Opuntia humifusa is native in Kentucky, so there's one. Just pile up a sand dune / gravel heap to grow it in.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Some of the hardiest spikies. Must be kept dry of course to survive the coldest temperatures.

Agave neomexicana
Agave parryi
Agave havardiana
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Conifers wrote:Opuntia humifusa is native in Kentucky, so there's one. Just pile up a sand dune / gravel heap to grow it in.

I sure would like to know where cus I been here a long time and I have never seen a wild cactus :lol: Ive seen wildcats and bears and all kinds of things but never a wild cactus. somthing to look into
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

MikeC wrote:Some of the hardiest spikies. Must be kept dry of course to survive the coldest temperatures.

Agave neomexicana
Agave parryi
Agave havardiana

These are some of what I was looking for def like the blue color of the parryi so its on the list. any really cold hardy lithops? just about to start a sketch of my rock garden today. keep em comming
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

miketropic wrote:
Conifers wrote:Opuntia humifusa is native in Kentucky, so there's one. Just pile up a sand dune / gravel heap to grow it in.

I sure would like to know where cus I been here a long time and I have never seen a wild cactus :lol: Ive seen wildcats and bears and all kinds of things but never a wild cactus. somthing to look into
This KY county level map might help a bit in narrowing the search. Look on sandy or other very well-drained soils with rocky outcrops. Good luck, and post pics if you find any!
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Conifers wrote:
miketropic wrote:

This KY county level map might help a bit in narrowing the search. Look on sandy or other very well-drained soils with rocky outcrops. Good luck, and post pics if you find any!

well you certainly got me there. 2 of those countys in green are touching mine and I live outside the city limits so I have alot of country side around me miles and miles of woods and farm land...and never once have I found a cacti but you have certainly peaked my interest and I think I will go looking in the spring..I bet if I ask some of the old backwoods people they will know where to find some. def post pics if I come across them
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Also check with any KY Native Plant Society (I don't know if there is one, but most US states have a native plant society).

Pic from TN here which shows what to look for; click on the location and zoom in on the google map generated to see the habitat type; click on the species name to see more pics (flowers, etc.).
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Yucca Gloriosa, that's all.